How am I doing this pattern wrong?

Goodworth

Question

Hi All,

I am very new to crocheting but have been loving the hobby over lockdown. I got a blanket pattern + wool for Christmas and have am really struggling with replicating it. 

The first row has the following instructions:

- Chain 2, then work 1 dc into the 2nd chain from the hook. 

- *Skip 2 chains, and work 5 dc into the next stitch, then skip another 2 chains and work 1 dc into the next stitch*

Repeat *to*

My main issue is a lot of gaps in between the 5 tr sections and don't understand where I'm going wrong!

Any help would be appreciated :D

20201230_173548.jpg

16093506076148816534638894794231.jpg

Edited by Goodworth

4 answers to this question

Your tension is very loose.  You can use a smaller hook.  Being new you should probably first practice making swatches.  These can be pulled apart.  People's tension tends to tighten up the better they get at making stitches.

Is the pattern written in US or UK as there is a difference.  When you typed pattern you typed dc but then later talk about gaps between tr sections.  A UK treble is a US double crochet.

• Like 2

I have to agree in regards to tension. It does look like your stitches are a bit too loose. Please take bgs's tip about swatches. It doesn't have to be a large swatch, just about 4-6 inches in size. Practicing stitches can make a big difference.

It looks like you are using a G/4mm hook in the photo, but, is the yarn you are using the same recommended weight as in the pattern? That will make a difference also if it's not the same weight. I sure hope our "tips" help. 🙂

• Like 1

Tension has already been addressed - looking at your hook and yarn, they look reasonably appropriately sized for each other (I've used sock weight yarn with a G hook (4 mm or 4.25 mm, depending on which conversion chart you look at, I probably wouldn't go bigger than that, though, and not sure if your yarn is sock or sport/baby weight). But, you are making stitches that I'd produce with a hook the thickness of a pencil with that yarn--not exaggerating on the pencil sized hook, but also not criticizing--when I started crocheting I went the other way - my stitches were super tight, I almost needed a pry bar to get the hook into the stitches in the next row.  It takes practice to get tension in an average range (meaning, so you achieve close to the gauge called out by most patterns), and to keep your stitches consistent.

The pattern is in US terms, or at least the part of the pattern you typed matches the pattern photo of US DC shell stitches.  

Re, the gaps in this pattern, but not associated with your tension - skipping 2 stitches is necessary so the fabric doesn't ruffle.  Think of it this way: assume a 'normal', flat fabric is 1 stitch into 1 stitch.  You are putting 5 stitches into 1 for the shell, which is 4 "extra" stitches--so skipping 2 stitches on either side of the shell keeps the stitch count "right" and the fabric flat. 

• Like 1