Will this work?

m.rosa

Question

Hey all!

I'm fairly new to crocheting.  I started a blanket a while back with just a basic double crochet stitch.  I started the blanket with a very heavy yarn and ran out almost instantly.  I switched to another yarn after the first few rows and the new yarn is much, much smaller.  Now I have this awkward strip of a bulky yarn at the start of my project.  I'm much too far along to start over at this point and now it's bothering me...

I'm wondering, though, is there a way to remove this old yarn and replace it with the new yarn?  I was thinking I could just crochet into the loops of the new yarn in the row when it was first started so keep the loops from pulling out.  Once I've replaced that strip then I would pull out the old yarn being sure to replace the original tie off. 

Does anyone know if this would work?

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville! 

It would be easier and faster to rip and start over.  You can't rip/unravel from the starting edge.  

I've been crocheting for decades, and would rip without question back to the very beginning.

The only thing I can think of, if you knit, is cut the bulky yarn off close to the thinner yarn start, carefully pick out the little bulky bits that remain, carefully put the underside loops of the thinner yarn on a cabled knitting needle long enough to accommodate the stitches, and 'bind them off' with a length of the thinner yarn.  BUT!  That is a highly tricky maneuver worthy of one of those tasks given to Hercules, and I'm not seriously suggesting that a beginner attempt it.  I knit, and could probably pull it off, but would still rather rip back to the beginning and start over.  (it's one of those "one false move and fugetaboutit" things)

I agree with Granny Square.  It can be done but its tricky.  I too would rather rip it all out and start over.  If you take the time and aggravation to go the other route there is a good chance of dropping a loop and then having to rip it apart and start over anyway.  

I completely agree with Granny Square and bgs. Many of us seasoned crocheters still have to unravel (Frog) projects, even though we don't want to. It's one of the few unpleasant things about the craft. I recently frogged a blanket that was 2/3 complete because it was just too heavy for me. Persevere for a good job done. In the long run, you'll be much happier with your project.