Sign in to follow this  
Siew Ling

Treble crochet

Hello, i am working on treble crochet and I am getting different information. My pattern ask me to make 31 ch and 1 tr into 3rd ch from hook but some videos i saw online said 4th ch. Is there a difference? 

I would follow your pattern.  The videos are showing samples of how to do a stitch, it's for teaching people how to do a treble, not to follow it literally in how they "set the stitch" up for you to see the treble is crocheted.    Hope this helps.

Toni

• Thanks 1

Howdy from Oklahoma

Welcome to CrochetVille

15 hours ago, Siew Ling said:

Hello, i am working on treble crochet and I am getting different information. My pattern ask me to make 31 ch and 1 tr into 3rd ch from hook but some videos i saw online said 4th ch. Is there a difference? 

Welcome to the forum.  Just wanted to mention a UK treble is a US double, so that matters.  Officially, US treble would be 4th chain but if pattern instructs 3rd chain follow that or stitch count will be off. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome Siew Ling!

I agree that your pattern is probably in UK terms.  Normally for US DC, you'd indeed make your first US DC in the 4th foundation chain from the hook, which leaves the 3 skipped chains for the turning chain, which also counts as a DC.  I think people (including designers) conflate "3 turning chains" "the third chain from the hook" because they're focusing on "3" but if you DC into the third chain of a foundation ch, that leaves you with a turning chain of only 2 chains--so in a foundation chain, you'd have to skip the number of turning chains required for the first stitch of the first row, and make the first real stitch into the following stitch.

A US treble/UK double treble has a turning chain count of 4, so you'd US treble into the 5th foundation chain from the hook.

What I'd suggest for your pattern is to ch 32 and make the first UK Treble/US DC into the 4th chain from the hook.  

• Thanks 1

Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁