ChelsieG

Question

Hello, I am looking for the dress potholder pattern from crocheted favorites and originals of Jessie Abularach volume 3. My grandma had a few of her books and when she gave them to me before she passed away and the volume 3 that I had was destroyed and I've been trying to find that pattern, it's in the volume 3 book on page 19 the picture in the "kitchen cuties". Any links to this pattern would be greatly appreciated please 🙂

5 answers to this question

It would be against US copyright law, not to mention forum rules for someone to copy a pattern from a book that is under copyright and send it to you, or for that matter scan patterns from the book and post it on the internet.  In the US that is anything published prior to 1923 (I think...didn't look it up, it's early 1920s) . 

Edit - found an original copy you can purchase https://www.etsy.com/listing/618190078/favorites-originals-of-jessie-abularach

49 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

It would be against US copyright law, not to mention forum rules ...…………………………………….

Hi Granny Square: Just wondering here; I saw this particular pattern/tutorial featured on YouTube by Bag-O-Day-Crochet. Do you know if this is copyright infringement? I have done extensive research on copyright for print items, but, that was before YouTube came about (ages ago).

Good question, and I don't know the exact definition of 'copy' that the the copyright holder has rights over.  How much can one paraphrase something for it not to be a copy?  Is it OK if she didn't show pictures or diagrams from the actual published pattern but instead showed a finished piece she made from the pattern, and didn't recite every row word for word?  I don't know the answer, but it sounds iffy. 

I'm on the same edge about this, iffy. Think I'll treat it as the same until I might learn more, just to be on the safe side.

Look in the forum under Town Hall you will find a list of rules. You might find something on copyright laws. You can also go to help and ask any question. When looking for a pattern, buying the original is the option.

Ellie 13 

Archived