rug with 4 strands yarn?

I just finished a rug that had a tendency to do that. After I got about half way finished, it started laying flater. After I washed it, it seemed to "relax". As long as you are not accidently decreasing or working even, it should be fine.

:)Alosha

I've noticed that rugs I make flatten out after they've been on the floor for awhile.

Im making a rug using 4 strands of yarn, it has nine sides to it.

the thing is it curls up at the edges :( what is the best way to keep it flat?

I made two three strand rugs last winter, and they do tend to curl up at the edges, even after washing. I'm thinking of putting some non skid backing on it (sewing it onto the back side). Maybe then the cats won't skitter it under my bed or curl the one under my desk so much.

Im making a rug using 4 strands of yarn,

I hope you post a picture of the finished rug. I would love to know what you are using for yarn. My mother and I have thought about making rugs but you can't find the good old fashion rug yarn anymore. Too many years ago, that was what we use to use. I think it was called Aunt Lydia's and it was 100% cotton, strong, durable and the colors were ever so vibrant.

Pam

they still sell aunt lydia's rug yarn here locally. i've seen it at hobby lobby and walmart. i was wondering if working with 4 stands of yarn wouldn't wear out your hands and be a pain to work with? i've never tried it, although i've got a big ol' blue plastic hook that someone gave me. hmmmmm.........:hook

I've noticed that rugs I make flatten out after they've been on the floor for awhile.

Yes, I agree with MaryPat... my rug was all warped; but flattened out after being on the floor.

My rug was made using 4 strands of good ole RH acrylic yarn. It's still sitting in front of my door. And it didn't hurt my hand. It helped to have my yarn organizer to hold the skeins of yarn while working.

I made two three strand rugs last winter, and they do tend to curl up at the edges, even after washing. I'm thinking of putting some non skid backing on it (sewing it onto the back side). Maybe then the cats won't skitter it under my bed or curl the one under my desk so much.
That sounds like a great idea! I've got one that still wants to curl up even after being on the floor a while. Here's hoping it'll keep the cats from moving it all over the place, too! That one rug is *never* in the place where I like to keep it for more than a couple hours at a time, then I find it bunched up across the room :lol

• 2 weeks later...

juz wanted to know...is it actually normal for a crocheted object to curl? so far, almost all of my projects have curled at the edges, except for doilies.... i always thought it had to do with my tension...

You could try blocking it.

No im not decreasing.....its not that sorta curl (if u know what i mean)

it just flicks up at the edge not alot, and when i run my hand over it its ok, until you move it lol.

Archived