Advice on border

Greycon

Question

Hello All,

I was hopeing to get some design advice from those with more experience than I have.

I had a bunch of 2 colors of purple left over from another project that I did not know what to do with.  About enough to make a half of a lap-ghan.  So, since purple is my wife's favorite color, I bought some white and made her a lap-ghan with the purple and white.  I really was not thinking about the border at the time.  Now I'm kinda in a pickle on how to do the border.  The ghan is a chevron style that I put together from learning about chevrons and other ghans I have made, so, no published pattern.  This is what I did.

Started with dark purple for 3 double crochet rows.  (Plus starter chain of course)

2 rows of light purple

5 rows of white

2 rows light purple

Then back to 3 rows of dark purple.

DP,LP,W,LP,DP,LP,W... etc.

I just repeated this pattern to length and planned on finishing with dark pirple.

Actual stitch pattern is

2 dc, skip next stitch, *11 dc, 3 dc in next stitch, 11 dc, skip next 2 stitches*  repeated *'s 5 more times for a total of 6 peaks.  Skip next stitch, 2 dc, chain 3 and turn.

So, my wife would like the dark purple as the border.  My question then is, how do I do this since I started the ghan with dark purple.  Should I,

1.  Turn to the other side of the ghan, tie in and do a series of rows on the opposite side to bring it to light purple.  Then do 3 border rotations of dc's?  Will this stick out like a sore thumb?

2.  Just tie in to a corner and do 3 rows of dc's on the 3 remaining sides?  What would I do with end edge with I have the side of 3 dc's?

3.  Finish the bottom with 3 dark purple dc's to finish the current pattern and only border the sides in some way?

4.  Something better that I have not thought of.  Lol

I can take a pic and attach if it will help visualizing it.

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Jason

8 answers to this question

I am one that thinks that chevrons don't need borders,  Part of the reason is...not just chevrons, but stripes or any stitching into the side of a row in color A, with color B, looks irregular/messy compared with stitching into the top (or bottom) of color A, with B.  Also, it spoils the shape; you have a nice ^^^^^^^^^ going on, and then you add a border and get ---^^^^^^^^^---  I'm in the 'will stick out like a sore thumb' / 'often borders detract rather than enhance' crowd.

It sounds like you haven't finished it, but do agree that it should end as it began with the 3 rows of dark purple.

Here some ideas to adapt to turn the outline to a rectangle, but you'd still have the edge thing goin on.  https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rich-kids-chevron-blanket  Or,a youtube that shows a sc version with a deeper ripple.

Oops, Hi Reni, pushing the button at the same time as you again!  I rather like the fringe one, could incorporate all the colors perhaps.

Archived