Yarn Questions

catwoman

Question

Hi.:)I was wondering what you guys think that some people say that cheap yarn makes terrible knitting things or crochet things like hats,etc?:( are they lying ?They say to buy expensive yarn?
Is that true?I cant really affford expensive yarns for my crochet and knitting things that i make .:cry

9 answers to this question

This is a subject with a wide variety of opinions! You might as well ask about clothes shopping at walmart vs. Lord and Taylor.

Personally, I prefer wearables that are easy care (machine wash & dry.) That means inexpensive acrylic, polyester. Most plant fibers, like cotton, are easy care. Most machine made hats, mittens and scarves at the less expensive stores are made from acrylic yarn. Although, we can't buy the same yarn that clothing manufacturing uses.

Most expensive yarn is made from or blended with animal fibers. Yes, it feels better and drapes nicer, but caring for it takes time. 

I've been told many times that I would prefer expensive yarn, if I tried it. So far, I've resisted. I've learned which cheap yarns I love, like and can't stand by experimenting. 

Like Redroses said, it's a matter of opinion, and there are a lot of 'fiber snobs' out there that turn up their noses at acrylic.

There's some acrylic that is nicer than others, and some have opined that 'in the old days' it wasn't as nice as it is now (I'm not sure if that's true, I've been crocheting nearly 50 years and back then there were differences between brands too). 

And, nice/terrible is subjective.  Some think Red Heart Super Saver is scratchy, and 'doesn't breathe'.  I'm wearing a pullover sweater right now made (knitted) from RHSS, it's nice and warm but not overly so, and not at all scratchy and seems to 'breathe' just fine.  On the other hand, I made a cardigan from a box stores' bargain house brand yarn that I consider stiff and scratchy, OK for an outer garment but I wouldn't use it next to my skin.  On the other hand (third hand ?  I sound like Tevye) , the same store has some other house brand acrylic , as well, that is quite nice.  On the fourth ;) hand, I've owned a few unbearably scratchy wool items in my younger life. 

To be honest, I rarely use wool, except for blended sock yarn because it wears better. I can afford it, but I don't want to deal with caring for it.  I have heard that wool is warmer than acrylic, which may be true but I don't live in a super-cold area (winter daytime extreme end not usually below 0°F), in which weather I wouldn't only be wearing an acrylic sweater without a jacket anyway.

Cotton however, I do use for doilies and kitchen things; you can block cotton and wool, and cotton is better for items subjected to heat (acrylic melts at a very low temp).  As far as that goes, there's different types of cotton; 'kitchen cotton' is great for potholders but pretty crude for a garment, there's nicer cotton for that (but not so much in the box stores)

Speaking of blocking, I could see someone preferring wool for something that needs blocking, like a lacy shawl, because wool blocks nicely.  You can 'kill' acrylic, but it's tricky to get right--and you wouldn't want to do it for a wearable that has to stretch.

So, don't listen to the yarn snobs.  Nothing wrong for acrylic--it's not all bad!

catwoman:

Hi.:)I was wondering what you guys think that some people say that cheap yarn makes terrible knitting things or crochet things like hats,etc?:( are they lying ?They say to buy expensive yarn?
Is that true?I cant really affford expensive yarns for my crochet and knitting things that i make .:cry

=====================

Acording to me, that is not true. On the other hand when it comes to yarns.. cheap or expensive will never produce good results IF that yarn is not suitable for that project.

When it comes to baby's items  they should be made using soft yarns. When it comes to scarfs even for adults that yarn should be soft. No one would like to have anything "scratchy" around their neck. Hats are little more "flexible", yarn dos not have to be very soft. Unless it is for a Chemo- patient or a bold guy or a woman. But, that is only my opinion:).

I do work with both: expensive & cheap. More often I use a cheap yarns for my projects.

Krys:wreath

I use mostly acrylic or cotton blends for the stuff I make.  Price is a factor for the charity goods I make.  However, washable is a factor for anything I make for myself and most of my family members.  I don't know any of them that love to hand wash. 

I've tried to walk the we all use what works for us, but have ended up leaving groups because the tolerance doesn't seem to go both ways.  I have no envy of the people who use expensive yarns.  If it makes them happy have at it.  We all should be blessed to afford our indulgences.  I just am tired of defending my box store yarn choices.  They work for me and I don't see any need to change.  That being said I'm not attempting to convert any of them to acrylic.  If only we could all just celebrate the creative spirit and leave the yarn choices to the individual's choice. 

3 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Some think Red Heart Super Saver is scratchy, and 'doesn't breathe'.  I'm wearing a pullover sweater right now made (knitted) from RHSS, it's nice and warm but not overly so, and not at all scratchy and seems to 'breathe' just fine

Granny Square is right!

I just want to address that myth about RHSS is scratchy. Because it is NOT thru. First time you just need to wash & rinse twice. Use couple full caps of good liquid fabric softener (like Downy).

Here is my story on that subject:

Once I needed many different bright specific colors to make a Love'y for my doctor grandson, he was almost 2 years old. Yes, I went on Internet looking for a soft baby yarn in all those colors ( almost any price would been fine with me). I just could not find that!. I spend many hours on of looking for that...

I do crochet a lot of Amigurumi using RHSS. I do have that yarn in all colors, almost in every shade is avaliable. So I did knew that I got all those colors I need for that Love'y, BUT in a "wrong yarn"!. I never thought that I will be crocheting  that using that cheap yarn. First I made that bottom part (little blankie) to see what will happen after wash. Put that to a wash machine in that bag for "delicate s". Turn on on Hand wash cycle, cold water. After that wash I rinse that twice ( to try to wash of that "sizing" they put on new yarns). To that second rinse I added 2 full caps of "Downy-fabric softener"- liquid.  Than I set my dryer on low heat put that "blankie" there & I added 2 sheets of fabric softener to that. Double or triple dosage on all those softeners LOL. I was desperate!:(.

I could not believe how soft that little "blankie" came out!.  I was so happy! ;). After that I crochet that head & arms & put that to that wash with a lot of fabric softener again. That Lovey was sooo soft and I was very happy with those great results.

So was the mother of that child. She even called me to thank me in person.  I did include with that Love'y a big size bag for washing delicate s. That mesh bag was a sweater size, not many people have that in that size. It was a perfect size for that, Love'y was not very small. "Standing up" was  about 20". I know, that little kid is probably dragging part of that on a floor LOL.

Before that Love'y I would never believe that yarn could ever get that soft!

Since I been writing here about that Love'y... I thought I might as well post a picture of that here. That was my first "Love'y". Before that I did not even knew what is "Love'y"??.

You got a lot of good advice's & opinions here from Granny Square,  Redrosses & Bailey

Krys

DSC00342 (1).JPG

Thank You Ladies:)

That Monkey Love'y almost did not got to the right person. My friend who got her first grandbaby at that time, had "her eye" on that monkey LOL. She was here couple times just before my doctor appointment. That was the time I was planning to give that monkey to that doctor. Each time my friend came she was "grabbing" that monkey and saying: "I love that, it is so nice!". I knew that she wanted that. That really was making me very uncomfortable. I did told her that first time for who I made that Monkey. And I was saying to my self: "I am not going to start making another one!", that was a lot of work.  Specially since I just made & give to her (about a week before) a Set for her new baby granddaughter.  That Set was done in pink & white colors: blanket, 2 matching hats ( each different style) and a matching Love'y. I called that Love'y "Girly Monster". Besides that I give her another blanket at that time made out of that "Bernat Baby Blanket yarn" and another hat & head band. 

I think sometimes people expecting way too much.. LOL

I use to sometimes after I finished a project sent a picture of that to her. I did stop doing that too. That was not a good idea. Because she wanted almost everything and probably expecting to get that. Before I start any of my crocheting projects I always know for who I am making that. I never just start making something because I just like too, and than think to whom I will give to.

Krys 

Archived