Newbie needing pattern?

Deveney

Question

I apologize up front if I am not following protocol. The simple truth is, I created an account here specifically to ask this question.

My grandmother was a life long crochet person, (she knitted occasionally) In my youth she tried to teach me crochet, but I kinda blew her off after learning a granny square. (Ah, The regrets of being young and dumb, /sigh )

Attached is a picture of a blanket my grandmother crocheted for me when I went off to college. (Many years ago)

The top was straight and the bottom had fringe. and it has a repeating pattern. I would like to find a pattern to match this twin size blanket. My grandmother passed away in 2004 or I would ask her.  I am still not great at crochet, I tend to stick to Granny Squares, but, this blanket has been with me for a REALLY long time, I would love to be able to pack it up to preserve it, and either crochet a new one myself or if the pattern is very complex, hire someone to crochet a replacement for me.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for your time, patience, and tolerance!

Have a GREAT Day!

Deveney

IMG_0263[1].JPG

15 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

I'm sorry for your loss, even though it was long ago.

Your grandmother may have made up the pattern. But, that doesn't mean you can't make it. It's very close to Bruges Lace. 

If I were going to tackle duplicating it, I'd first learn bruges lace by making something small, like a scarf. There are several tutorials out there. It's not difficult. 

Good luck!

Thanks for such a quick response and advice, I will DEFINITELY look into the Burges Lace.

4 minutes ago, redrosesdz said:

Your grandmother may have made up the pattern.

If I were going to tackle duplicating it,

It's funny, I took the blanket to a lady here in Kissimmee who had an etsy store, and she mentioned that it might be custom. And told me that the only way to replicate would for me to ALLOW her to unravel a few rows to see the stitches. Which I just couldn't bring myself to let her do. So, I'll just have to keep learning new stitches until I find the stitches that look like those.

Thanks again for being so Helpful! You've made my day!

Welcome to the ville (I hope you stick around and build your crochet skills with us).

I can sort of see a bit of a Bruges look to it,but what I really think it is is a butterfly stitch (the stringy part).  In a nutshell, you make a solid sectiion, then a bunch of chains, and another solid section.  On the third pass, in the middle of the chain you reach down and slip stitch or sc around the chain loops below, and finish the rest of the chain.  Bruges has the stringy look too, but  the chain loop starts and ends on the same side, it doesn't go across, and it's usually 2 loops, not 3, spanning solid sections.

I'll come back (hopefully) with some pattern ideas close to your pattern.  Meanwhile, here's what Bruges components look like http://www.beadsky.com/brugge.php

Hi Deveney, welcome form me too :-)

While Granny Square was posting, I was looking for a clear Bruges pattern to link.  I'll go ahead and do that anyway, just click where it says Download free pdf http://www.universalyarn.com/pattern.php?pattern=1628

I do agree with Granny Square that to me it looks like it's not Bruges.  But can you take another photo of it laid out flat, without the fringe in the pic?  What we need to be able to see clearly is the chain sections in between the solid sections.  

Here are 2 patterns that incorporate that butterfly stitch.  The square is cool in that the gap spacing really make them look like butterflies, the mittens are closer to your Grandmother's pattern.  I couldn't find a (free) blanket pattern that you could just run with 'as is', but hopefully you can work with these.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/butterfly-garden-square

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/suzies-butterfly-mitts

Since you have the blanket to be recreated, you could count the stitches across to figure out your starting chain.  This seems to be based on DC, so the rule is for x DCs worked flat, you want to chain x+2, then turn, put the first DC in the fourth chain from the hook (not counting the loop ON the hook), and work across.  I suggest if you (example) count 200 stitches across the blanket, that you chain 200, and a few extra...in case you miscount (really irritating to crochet a bunch and end up 1 chain short).  You can pick out extra chains later, it won't unravel from that end.

Oh dear, typing slow as usual - Hi Magic!  Gaa...and Red!

10 minutes ago, magiccrochetfan said:

Hi Deveney, welcome form me too :-)  But can you take another photo of it laid out flat, without the fringe in the pic?  What we need to be able to see clearly is the chain sections in between the solid sections.  

I'm sorry, I am slightly overwhelmed with all the help that has came out for me. (Literally have tears in my eyes) .

I attached a photo with the blanket not folded over so you just see the repeating pattern without the fringe.

I've added butterfly stitch to the list of things I "should" learn.

Oh. Mah. Lawd. Ya'll really ARE the best-est forum ever! Seriously. I took my blanket to a lady at a the flea market here in Kissimmee who SWORE she could produce a pattern or replicate my Granny's blanket, and as I stated previously that would have entailed her unraveling my Granny's blanket.

I am just so OVERWHELMED!

THANK YOU ALL!

IMG_0266[1].JPG

Please don't cry. I feel how much you're overwhelmed. Take a few days to set it aside and not think about it. Then come back. We'll discuss it in the meantime. 

Here's what I  see...

5 dc, ch 7 across

5 dc, ch 3, sc to ch7, ch 3 across 

5 dc ch 3, sc to sc, ch 3 across

Repeat the 3 rows.

What do you think, GS and Magic?

Sharon, I agree except I think the first row is 5 single crochet, not doubles.  But it would work either way.  

I did find one pattern that I think is really close as far as the basics of the construction, http://bynumber19.com/2012/01/15/papillon-scarf-a-free-crochet-pattern/

Not to derail the thread, but I do have to say one other thing: teary eyes are OK!  Crying can be good!  At least I hope that's the case because I tear up at the littlest things these days.  The other day a nurse in a doctor's office called with some test results, not a particularly grave issue at all, but I knew she had taken time out of her rushed schedule to make the call, so i told her how much I appreciated it, and I had tears in my eyes.  Gee, I was so glad she couldn't see me!   So let's hear it for getting teary eyed!! :yay:rain:haha

And Deveney, that second photo is great, so very clear!  

The members here are always ready to help and guide. I for one, am always grateful for their sage advice.

I have had this Butterfly Stitch tutorial in my Favorites for awhile but haven't tried it yet. Maybe it will help you to figure out how to make another blanket like your grandmother's.

HopefulHoney.com also has a tutorial and video on the stitch (she calls it a Bow Stitch).

Crochetville is a great place!  Glad all is well Kathy, and well found on the scarf pattern--but I think you both nailed the original with the help of the clearer pic.

edit - bow stitch!  Didn't think of that.  So many techniques with different names...

Archived