Problems with starting loop stitches

Lynnchun

Question

I have been crocheting thread doilies for about a year now, and have found that I am unable to work in all the starting stitches in a starting loop with some patterns. The most recent doily said ch 6, join to make loop, ch 16 sc in loop. I could not fit 16 sc in the loop! I tried changing hooks, still didn't work. I'm using 10 thread 1.5 mm steel hook. Grrrr and thank you for any tips or help you all may have!

7 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

If the number of chains to start a round is too small, there are three things that you can do. 

• Change the number of chains.  The number of chains don't matter, since you're not crocheting into them.  You can chain more to make a bigger starting ring or less to make a smaller starting ring. The size of the ring doesn't matter.  What matters is that the first round has the correct number of stitches.
  • Start with a single chain, instead of a chain loop.  To do this, make a very loose chain.  Chain 1 normally.  Make your round 1 stitches (in your case 16 SC stitches) inside the first chain.  As you're making the stitches, include the tail under every stitch.  You can pull the chain open to fit more stitches.  When your stitches are done, pull the tail to close the loop.

The advantage of starting with a Magic Loop or single chain is that you pull the hole closed.  The advantage of starting with a chain loop is that you'll have a hole in the middle.  It's up to you whether or not you like having the center hole closed or open.

I second using the adjustable loop/magic circle.  The neat thing about it is, you can make it really loose with enough room to put 16 stitches in it with plenty of room to spare as you're working the stitches, and then pull the loop as tight or open as you want later.  Sometimes, for doilies, being able to loosen/open up the center a little can help reduce ruffling, so it's nice to have that option if you need it; or you can pull it tight for a hat for example.

When I first encountered this technique, I thought it was confusing until I realized that it was really just making a slip knot, but instead of pulling it tight over the hook as you normally do to start your work, keep the knot very loose over the hook (I usually have a diameter of an inch or a little less); yarn over and make a stitch over the knot, repeat.  

Thank you!  I didn't even think about a magic circle.  I've used those for hats, and I also used a starting chain for some lace projects.  I'm a rule follower, so if it says chain 6, I chain 6!  LOL  My hand is sore from trying to jam all the stitches in the loop for this one doily I really wanted to make.  I'm going to go try it with a magic circle now.  I actually like a circle in the center of my doilies, they're doilies after all.  

Hi Lynn, welcome to the ville!

Especially if I want to leave an opening in the middle, I would probably stick with the chains, just speaking for myself.  if the first chain loop I make is too small, I know that sometimes I make my individaul chain stitches too tight, so in that case I would start over and intentionally make them much looser, or just make a few extra of them.  Then at the end if the opening is too big, I can cinch it up somewhat by weaving the yarn tail around in the bottoms of the stitches.  

I'm a klutz with the simplest magic ring method.  so when I do want to do magic ring, i do the version that Edie Eckman calls "sliding loop", because for me it is more stable.   you can see it in the look inside for the book here https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Square-Crochet-Motifs-unexpected/dp/1603420398/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

pg 10-11.  I think she probably repeats this info in other of her books, if you have any of them.  (all are great references to have handy!)  

Just wondering can you post the whole round  of the directions as written. The way you have it >>The most recent doily said ch 6, join to make loop, ch 16 sc in loop <<<  as you have ch 16 sc in loop would like to see the whole rnd as written.

Just wondering can you post the whole round  of the directions as written. The way you have it >>The most recent doily said ch 6, join to make loop, ch 16 sc in loop <<<  as you have ch 16 sc in loop would like to see the whole rnd as written.

Sure thing (oops, it was chain 5, but I've had this issue with other patterns too):

Rnd 1: Ch 5, sl st in first ch to form ring, ch 1, 16 sc in ring, join with sl st in beg sc (16 sc)

Thanks the 1 was missing so it read ch 16 which had me wondering.  Using the magic ring is a good idea  and the more you do it it should get easier.. 

Archived