Beginners help -- I can't read my pattern!

catcity

Question

Hi everyone! I just recently learned how to crochet, and I'm following what I thought was a fairly simple pattern. However, I can't figure out how to read it. Could someone please translate this first line for me so that I may be able to figure out the rest? Thanks so much!

Here's the first line of my pattern:

Ch28, 1hd in 3rd from hook, 1hdc in next 25 st, turn your work (26)

7 answers to this question

Looks like a couple of letters are left out. I'd try "chain 28, half double crochet in third chain from hook, hdc in next 25 st, turn."

The (26) just means you that you should have 26 half double crochets at the end of the row, and if you're just starting out, it's a very good idea to count them.

Hi Becky,

Thanks so much for your response. This does make it make a bit more sense, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I can do the chain 28 part, but I can't understand what to do after that. What does the third chain from the hook mean?

I'll throw another crochet tutorial site at you, that is very good.  I don't mean to overwhelm you - but for me, re-learning how to knit a few years ago, new techniques didn't always 'click' on the first tutorial or video.

This is a menu page - the foundation chain is in part 2 of 'getting started'

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

Archived