Knitting with circular needles

emmilyx3

Hello!  :waving

Currently I only crochet, but am also very curious about knitting. I would much rather buy a set of needles instead of one at a time. I have my eye on these gorgeous interchangeable circular needles (http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Options_Interchangeable_Caspian_Circular_Knitting_Needle_Set__D91078.html) and was wondering if these were possible to use to learn how to knit. I do realize it would be best to probably buy one set of needles to learn and once successful THEN buy a set of different needles, but I just love these circular ones. :)

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

What I strongly recomment you do is to get a pair of straight bamboo needles, 4.5 or 5 mm, to use with worsted weight yarn in a solid color (preferably not a very dark color).  Learn with those, practice until you can do the basic knit and purl stitches  with confidence.

then do some research on the Knitpicks needles you are interested in, read reviews by people who have used them, and look at other types too, then decide which set to get.   Also the length of the cord is a consideration, along with the material of the tips.  Do you like to crochet with wooden hooks?  

I'm sure that people have learned using a circular needle, but you have the added step of learning to manage the cord...plus with interchangeables you have to put them together.  So i think it is easiest to learn on straights, and bamboo has a little bit of grip to help prevent dropped stitches.  

I have the Knitpicks interchangeable needle set and love them. But I do agree with magiccrochetfan that it will be easier to learn to knit with a pair of straight bamboo needles. They aren't expensive and you will use them more than you think you will.

A slightly different point of view.  

My mom decided I should learn to knit when I was a teenager; I didn't particularly want to.  I learned on my mom's old 14"  straights, and she had me make a couple of scarves.  A few months later a friends' mom taught me how to crochet; I found crochet more enjoyable and I dropped the knitting needles and continued to crochet for several decades, just picking the needles back up a few years ago.

The needles I picked up were those old 14" straights, and they were the devil to maneuver.  They were ungainly, it felt like I was wrestling with telephone poles, and they were heck on my wrists.  I was accustomed to a light and short crochet hook, plus my hands and wrists have gotten creakier over the years.  I went to the craft store and bought an inexpensive Boye fixed circular needle (thinking like you, I didn't wan't to buy a set until I decided I'd stick with it), and it was so much easier to work with.  Working with a cable (and a stiff one at that) was not an issue and (for me) much preferable to working with those long straights.

You can knit flat or in the round with circulars, but only flat (as far as I know) with single point straights.   I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of crocheters who start to learn knitting on straights give up on knitting (like I did for decades) because of the straights, not the craft.  

I'd recommend the (second) path I took, buy an inexpensive fixed circ and practice with that.  Or, maybe that plus a short set of straights to try both and see what you like better.  If you continue with knitting, both will be useful later, and you'll have spent less than for the set.

As far as having to put together interchangeables, that's not a big deal and only takes a minute at the start of your project. I have an inexpensive Boye set - The only drawback is that the cords are stiff.  They work fine, and I personally prefer metal over wood (maybe because I'm used to metal hooks), but one day if I splurge on another set I'd try to find one with more flexible cords.  Interesting on the comments for the Knitpicks set, some think the cords are flexible and some say stiffer than another Knitpicks set.

I've only taken one knitting class & haven't completed anything. But, I'm an avid crocheter. I struggled with learning on straight needles. Came here & got lots of advice. Best advice was to go to my local yarn store. I was able to try multiple styles & types of needles.

• 7 months later...

i am learning to knit although I have been crocheting for many many years.  I first struggled with straight needles someone had given to me, but being used to the shortness of a crochet hook decided to try the circular needles.  I find them much easier to handle and have been much more successful with the circulars. I suggest buying (or borrowing) an inexpensive circular needle and see how it goes.  I think you may find it much more comfortable to use. 

Archived