need help deciding

richsgirl

which edging for this afghan?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. edging shown on afghan or solomon's knot edging?

• edging shown
    • solomon's knot

Question

http://crochet.about.com/od/babypatterns/p/Striped_Baby_Blanket.htm 

So I want to make this afghan but can't decide whether to use the edging shown in the photo or a solomon's knot edging. In my opinion the edging is really important to a baby afghan and I just can't decide!

Opinions appreciated.

post-5389-0-75677900-1463241159.jpg

5 answers to this question

Pretty pattern!  I vote not Solomon's knot:

(1) I'm biased - I personally don't like 'stringy' stitches like Solomon's knot (or broomstick or hairpin lace) in general .  

(2) I'm not sure what specific edging pattern you are referring to...the few Solomon's knot/love knot edgings I've found IMO are pretty delicate.  I think a blanket should have a fairly sturdy edging, because the edges take the most abuse when the blanket is in use.  This pattern's edging suits the stitch pattern of the body of the blanket nicely.

Edit - your link isn't working for me, I was going by the photo.

I vote for a more solid edge, too.  I was over at my new grandson's home the other week.  He received a lot of crochet and knit blankets and his mom is going through using them.  The one he was wrapped in that day was very loose and had lots of holes.  His toes and fingers kept getting caught in the blanket.

This is a tad bit late but, I really like that Picot border. There is a project of this on Ravelry where several rounds of sc were used which would be cute for a boy's blanket- not so feminine looking. I look forward to seeing your finished blanket.

Archived