Lost Stitches - How?

mrsnjonesjr

I'm playing around with a Tunisian Simple Stitch. I have to say it's really fun and I enjoy it!  :2blush   BUT, I'm still learning and having a hard time with the left edge. I've lost stitches along the way and can't figure out why or how and if I can add a stitch. I'm watching videos and it seems like I'm doing what they instruct me to do. Does anyone know how or if I can add in stitches or any tips to watch out for at the end? This is really for practice more than anything and I'm fine to restart but I want to make sure I'm understanding the concept before I start again.  :blink

Photo attached. 

post-77137-0-50993100-1459733995_thumb.jpg

I find it really easy to lose stitches when doing TSS.  I can see that you didn't skip any stitches in the middle, because your vertical lines are all lined up.  Other than counting, that's an easy way to see if you've missed a stitch.  But, I can see that you've had problems on the left edge.  In row 3 you added a stitch, which you tried to fudge in row 4.  Then in either row 5 or 6 you lost a stitch. 

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to go back and add a stitch, other than ripping it out.  When you're doing TSS, it's similar to casting on and binding off in knitting.  When you get to the end of casting on, count your loops.  If you don't have the same number of loops every time, then you've missed/added a stitch.  That's how I keep track.  When you're binding off, you start with a chain (YO and pull through only 1 loop), you'll have the same number of loops as before the chain.  Then do your YO and pull through 2 loops the rest of the way.  If you forget that first chain, it'll throw off the left side of the row.

Thank you redrosesdz! It's really hard for me to keep track of that last stitch on the left side or even how to recognize that stitch. :rant . I think I need to try and mark it some how. :/ I tried knitting years ago and found it really hard. I don't know why i'm having fun with this stitch. I'm going to rip everything out and try again!!!  :cheer  :cheer  :cheer

I find it really easy to lose stitches when doing TSS.  I can see that you didn't skip any stitches in the middle, because your vertical lines are all lined up.  Other than counting, that's an easy way to see if you've missed a stitch.  But, I can see that you've had problems on the left edge.  In row 3 you added a stitch, which you tried to fudge in row 4.  Then in either row 5 or 6 you lost a stitch. 

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to go back and add a stitch, other than ripping it out.  When you're doing TSS, it's similar to casting on and binding off in knitting.  When you get to the end of casting on, count your loops.  If you don't have the same number of loops every time, then you've missed/added a stitch.  That's how I keep track.  When you're binding off, you start with a chain (YO and pull through only 1 loop), you'll have the same number of loops as before the chain.  Then do your YO and pull through 2 loops the rest of the way.  If you forget that first chain, it'll throw off the left side of the row.

I find that our own member here on the "Ville, Kim Guzman ,has the best videos for Tunisian Crochet. They are up close and patiently done. Kim's video for ending the return row is very helpful. Take a gander and see what you think. Her other videos for Tunisian tutorials are just as well done.

mrsnjonesjr, on 14 Apr 2016 - 9:51 PM, said:

Hi Reni. Thank you so much I'm going to check these videos out. I'm having so much fun with this stitch but it is a little more difficult to learn.

You're very welcome. I refer to Kim's videos almost every time I pick up the afghan hooks. Since I can't find what I really want online, I want to make a very simple baby hat in Tunisian knit stitch, but, first need to calculate size and such for the little one.

Archived