convert knitting pattern to crochet

Virginia Gina Hayes

Question

4 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

such a conversion is not easy to do, and sometimes is not possible at all.  I have not attempted it myself, but others probably will have some advice for you.  It would help to know what it is you want to make.  

Welcome to Crochetville!

I haven't done it, but I know someone who has. She used the Tunisian knit & purl stitches. Her finished shawl really looked like knitting. I don't know if it would work for what you're doing, but it's what I would try.

Welcome to the 'ville!

Like those above have said, there is no magic formula, and it really requires a redesign from scratch.  And it won't look exactly the same.

I've seen sites on the web that tell you how to convert patterns, and they are laughable--basically they tell you how to make something the same size, but the fabric bears no resemblance to knitting (something like, 1 row of DC = x rows of stockinette)

Slip stitch crochet is the closest crochet stitch (functionally) to the knit stitch - here is a site you might find interesting.  You can make something that looks like stockinette, but it's sideways from knitting stitches.

In knitting, all the stitches are 'live' until you bind them off at the end.  The connect to each other side to side as well as in columns.  Crochet does not do this; a single crochet stitch (even a slip stitch) is denser and larger than a knit stitch from the same size tool and yarn because functionally each crochet stitch is made and then bound off at the same time.  A few years ago I did an experiment...long story short, I was surprised to find that using the same tool size and yarn, making the same size single crochet square and a square of straight knitting (garter stitch), both used about the same amount of yarn but there were 3 times more stitches in the knit square than the SC square.  Another way to explain that if you redesigned a knit pattern to crochet, you'd have to think much finer yarn and tool size than the knit pattern.  (I also tested Tunisian, was about the same as SC size/stitch wise)

Or...there is a technique called Knooking where you use a crochet hook with a string attached to the end, and actually follow a knit pattern, making real knit stitches, but using a crochet hook.  The string acts as the second knitting needle (to hold the live stitches).

Having said all that, the best thing would be to try to find a crochet pattern with design elements is similar to the knit one you like, where the designer has already done the hard work for you.  Can you link to the pattern you'd like to convert?  Maybe we could find something similar in crochet for you. 

I've also have used Tunisian knit and purl stitches to replicate knit patterns, and they were very satisfactory but, they still just do not have the total "look or feel" of being a knit piece. Mostly because to get a more dense stitch, it's thicker and when allowing for drape with larger hooks, the stitches can be looser than desired. It boils down to personal preference.

I think Granny Square's end advice the best:

"Having said all that, the best thing would be to try to find a crochet pattern with design elements is similar to the knit one you like, where the designer has already done the hard work for you."

Archived