I chain 50 and get 48 single crochets? Yep, I'm a beginner

LoveLabsandYarn

Question

6 answers to this question

If you are sc in the second stitch from the hook, you should have 49 sc's.  Try marking chain #49 when you are making the chain, then you will know where to sc in second chain from hook.  This is a way to get you use to doing that.  Also make the first sc in each row to make sure you don't lose it.

Just a suggestion.

You should be getting 49.  You chain x, then make your first stitch in the SECOND chain from the hook.  That first chain is the turning chain, and "doesn't count" as a stitch.

I find if one is wondering about turning chains, try to imagine a really short row.  Example, in your head, chain 3.  Make a SC into the second chain from the hook, then in the next chain.  You will have 2 SC stitches.  (by the way, the chain ON your hook never counts)

edit - I seem to be the queen of pushing the 'post' button at the same time as somebody else!

Oh what a relief....Ok so if I actually want 100 sc I would chain 101.....

Thanks so Much Tampa Doll and Granny Square... :yay

I am pretty excited to make this afghan but have a 9 month old puppy (as seen on my profile pic) and he's into everything!

I have a suggestion for keeping pets out of yarn that you're using.  I keep my working yarn in a laundry bag (3 pack at the dollar store.)  The kind that you use for washing delicates.  I thread the end from the middle of the skein through any of the holes.  This keeps the yarn clean from pets, pets aren't attracted to it and it doesn't roll.  Also, once I get past the yarn barf at the beginning, it's less likely to tangle and it automatically feeds once it's loose enough.  (I hate rolling yarn into balls and if a ball is too tight it can damage yarn.)  This only works with skeins from the big manufacturers or if the skein is designed to be center-pulled.

I have a suggestion for keeping pets out of yarn that you're using.  I keep my working yarn in a laundry bag (3 pack at the dollar store.)  The kind that you use for washing delicates.  I thread the end from the middle of the skein through any of the holes.  This keeps the yarn clean from pets, pets aren't attracted to it and it doesn't roll.  Also, once I get past the yarn barf at the beginning, it's less likely to tangle and it automatically feeds once it's loose enough.  (I hate rolling yarn into balls and if a ball is too tight it can damage yarn.)  This only works with skeins from the big manufacturers or if the skein is designed to be center-pulled.

That's a really good idea! 

They are just like babies, you have to "Baby (Puppy) Proof" everything! Yarn, electric cords. shoes, clothing, you name it.   :lol 

Archived