Afghan Hooks

LoveLabsandYarn

Question

12 answers to this question

Are you knitting the afghan, or crocheting it?

If it's knitting and that's what you're asking about, I'll just move right along since I am not a knitter, personally.

If you're looking at crochet, then the answer to your question is, well, none? In crochet, the loops don't stay on the hook like they do in knitting. You can make the blanket as wide or narrow as you want and not have to worry about that particular issue.

No problem! Right, that makes sense. The neat thing about crochet is that unlike knitting, the width of your project isn't limited to the length of the hook. You could chain 250 stitches with no problem if you really wanted to!

Well, Tunisian/Afghan stitch is sort of a hybrid knit & crochet technique, in that you do have stitches 'live' on the hook for part of each row.  It's as if you cast on, then cast off, each row from a knitting point of view.  And at the very end, you need to 'cast off'.

So, there is a limit of stitches that you can put on a 14" hook, and would depend on the hook size and whether you're using bulky or lace weight.  With knitting you can 'crowd' stitches on a needle but not so much Tunisian.  I'd take a look at your stitch gauge (which is usually x stitches in 4") and figure you can get about 3 times that many stitches on your hook comfortably (give or take a couple of stitches, that will cover 12" of your 14" needle on the forward pass).

However, if you are thinking of 'going wide', I suggest getting a corded hook, where the hook is quite short but there is a long flexible cord attached at the end, with a stopper.  Reason:  it's really hard on the wrists to have the weight of the whole piece hanging off your hook.  With a wide piece on a corded hook, most of the weight hangs off the cord, not the hook.

Another thought, have you looked at Tunisian entrelac?  Actually you can do that on a regular hook, each row is only about 6 stitches or so and you can make it as wide as you want.  I find that strangely 'fun', maybe because it's lots of little squares that you don't have to sew together :lol

Welcome to Crochetville!

I'm guessing that you're a knitter who is learning crochet.  I happen to be a crocheter who is learning knitting.  The biggest difference has already been stated.  With knitting you gather loops and work each loop.  With crocheting you only gather loops for that stitch, work the stitch, then move on to the next one. 

If you look at a crochet hook, you'll see that it consists of 4 parts.  The first part is the hook.  The next part is the skinny section under the hook, called the throat.  Then you have a short length, which is the diameter of your stitches.  This is where your loops go.  The final section is for comfort and handling the hook.  Most hooks widen out for a thumb rest and then narrow again.  Some have grips covering the final section for comfort.  Your loops should never go into this section.

One important difference that I learned was which way the yarn wraps when you grab it.  In knitting the yarn is counter-clockwise around the needle.  In crocheting the yarn is clockwise around the hook, unless you're doing a yarn-under, which is rare.

Afghans can be made with a regular crochet hook, doing a stitch at a time.  They can be as wide as you like.  Your foundation, usually a chain, determines the width.  They can also be done using an afghan hook, aka Tunisian hook, using Tunisian crochet, which Granny Square explained.

GS:  I just finished my first Tunisian Entrelac.  It's only a baby blanket size, but it took me forever.  I'm pretty sure it's a once and done for me.  I'm glad you find it fun.  I found it frustrating, because it's so monotonous.  I can't remember the last time I had to frog so much.  I kept losing count and dropping stitches.  In the end it turned out.  I'll post pics next week.

You're right it is monotonous, but a good TV-watching project!  Actually I've never attempted anything bigger than a potholder with Tunisian stitches because I thought the potholder width was monotonous.  Maybe there's a tiny sense of accomplishment after finishing each itty-bitty entrelac square?

If you haven't already, I would suggest first making a few small Tunisian pieces such as dishcloths or a scarf. What is very popular right now are "Mood Scarves". A scarf is narrow but, at the same time can give you an idea of how much time is required for Tunisian. A few people I know gave it up because it can seem to take longer than regular crochet.

I personally prefer a corded Tunisian hook for afghans. (Link -one of many brands). The first time I made a Tunisian afghan it took forever because I only had a 14" hook at the time. On the bright side, I learned a lot about the technique. Now I use only the corded for larger pieces, and they come in different lengths and also kits of different interchangeable hook sizes for the serious Tunisian crocheter. Whatever you decide, I wish you great success as it can be a lot of fun.

Tunisian crocheting and regular crocheting are very different.  With either one, it's a good idea to start with something small and square or rectangular.  Like Reni said, a dishcloth or a scarf are great beginner projects.  It gives you something to practice with and when you finish, you'll have a sense of accomplishment.  Plus it will give you an idea if you like it or not.

Like any craft, it takes a lot of practice at beginner projects before you start on something that is the next level.  The level after beginner is easy. If you don't take the time to practice with small projects, then you're more likely to get discouraged and give up.  That would be a shame, because crocheting is a lot of fun!

If possible, it's easier to learn from someone than from the videos and books.  Do you have a local craft or yarn shop?  That's a great place to find a teacher.

Hi Guys- although I myself am rather inexperienced, I've done afghan projects using an afghan hook- and the afghans I've done were in panels- NOT the whole width of the afghan, one would do one panel of let's say "46 sts" and finish it off, and do more panels, then attach them all together, thus making up the width. The width of the afghan was determined by how many panels you've done. So, if only say 35 sts could fit on that hook, one made 10 panels to add up 350 sts wide afghan. Am I not answering the OP's question? any experienced folks wanna correct me, please do as I don't want to give wrong info. Just putting in my two cents

Archived