Rationalizing Time/Labor Involved...

I don't get men sometimes.... My husband doesn't really say anything too much except with the swaps, if I have a package laying there ready to be mailed, he'll say: 'Who's this for?' So I say 'A swap at Crochetville' and he doesn't say anything else. He smiles when he sees all the stuff I get in the mail, but I think when I have to spend money to mail anything, is when he gets irritated. But, I also mail his sisters things all the time, so he can't say much... (especially since he never does anything for his sisters...) Anyway....... I think it's mostly the money and giving it to 'someone you don't even know' that irritates them, I don't know why...

As for crocheting at the meets and stuff..... I crochet anywhere and everywhere I have a few extra minutes. I actually miss carpool at the kids' old school, that was my crochet time, and the two year old fell asleep so it was quiet, too... So I must be weird too! :D

Tina

In my family, it's my sisters who don't understand why Mom and I make blankets for charity. Would they want/have need for 50 blankets? Well, there is a want and a need, and it pleases us to help with the little bit we can provide. I'm lucky that (despite how the sisters turned out) I was raised in a family that appreciates homemade stuff and appreciates volunteer work. Like many of us, my family has had its share of hard times, maybe even desperate times, too. My dad was raised during the depression; my mom was a little girl in Poland during WWII (she was arrested and sent to a 'camp' at the age of 8), so she knows about losing everything and having literally nothing but the clothes on your back.

I'm pretty sure when I'm laying on my death bed, I will not be regretting that there were dust bunnies under my couch I could have cleaned or a toilet I could have scrubbed. But I do think I will be afforded a measure of peace that my time here was not completely selfish, that I gave back a little of what I was fortunate enough to receive, modest and humble though what I have is.

Patty

I'm pretty sure when I'm laying on my death bed, I will not be regretting that there were dust bunnies under my couch I could have cleaned or a toilet I could have scrubbed. But I do think I will be afforded a measure of peace that my time here was not completely selfish, that I gave back a little of what I was fortunate enough to receive, modest and humble though what I have is.

Amen!

Indeed, Amen! You are so right - the dust isn't a priority, people are.

As an alternative, if I wanted to give a blanket, I could go to the fabric store and pay $8 for a couple yards of fleece, fringe or stitch it, and be done. But a crocheted piece is just so much more snuggly, isn't it? There's a bit of love in every loop.

Ha ha and a bit loopier with every stitch! In my case anyway lol!

Yeah, me too...have a crochet helper in the form of a cat...and if that doesn't make like "loopier" I don't know what will...

I don't think you need to justify what you are doing as for charity in order to do it....but you probably don't need 17 afghans lying around your house either! I haven't made anything specifically for charity, but I have ended up giving numerous items to Amvets---I couldn't wear all those hats.

If there is one thing I've learned in over 40 years of marriage (one husband) it's that you shouldn't need to explain this to him. It's a matter of respect ( him respecting you). Unless you are taking the family's food money to buy the yarn, it's a wonderful and generous thing you're doing. It's the same (only more noble ) than if hubby goes bowling, fishing, hunting, etc. Don't allow his negativity to dampen your joy.

How can I explain it to DH and others when I can't quite understand it myself?

He wasn't pleased. The idea that I bought 12 skeins of Red Heart and am putting so many hours in just to give the thing away is killing him. But if I do this, and they make $70-80 on the raffle (maybe more, this is a big meet, 200 girls) that makes up for other fundraisers I'm not going to do, like selling candy or candles or something.

Just a suggestion for something that hasn't been addressed here... Perhaps you should mention to your DH that any item you make and donate to a charity can be listed as a charitable deduction on your tax return. You can figure out what the fair market value should be and use that, or get a receipt from the organization you donated to (and you might even get them to list the value you designate if they are a local, especially parent-run, organization.) I believe you can deduct somewhere up to $200 or so without receipts -- if you claim more than that you WILL need receipts (and best to check with an accountant about that).

I know you are doing this without thinking about getting anything back, but perhaps this may make your DH feel a little better about not just "giving something away".

Archived