Fabric Softener?

Does anyone use fabric softener on their finished pieces? I am working on some xmas scarves, some are 100% wool and a little stiff and scratchy. I usually just wash with a mild soap and block each one a little, but I was wondering if fabric softener would help. Any suggestions?

I use regular detergent and fabric softener. And I am ashamed to say that I never blocked anything I worked on. Including wool scarves. The most I ever do is just wash them on gentle and dry on a low heat setting. I made a thick wool one for my nephew about 5 years ago and I know he just tosses it in with his jeans or towels and it still looks like I just made it. I am always amazed and proud by how well it has done.

I have yet to learn the trick of washing stuff up to make it soft. Fabric softener sounds good. I've always heard of women putting in some condintor (like you would use in your hair after shampooing). It's supposed to help soften up the natural fibers....

I always use fabric softener on anything that I make. I find that it makes a big difference. I don't ever take the time to block anything. I know that I should, but for me it is just so much easier to wash it and dry it. The fabric softener makes everything so much softer.

I have heard that fabric softener can negatively affect wool. Something about the sofetener coating the fiber and not allowing it to do what it normally does. If I were you, I'd just use some conditioner. It's what Elizabeth Zimmerman used, and she was a woolen genius!

I usually use hair conditioner since it's made for use on natural fiber:) It doesn't alway dissolve well in cool water, so I put some in a bottle with some hot water & shake it up very well before using it.

Alosha

PS, it also keep cotton towels more absorbent than using fabric softner

For 100% wool use a woolwash if you can't get it there try putting some pure soap flakes in hot water with a small amount of eucalytus oil. You then put your woollen article in and do not agitate but leave to sit in the water until cool. Then rinse in warm water and don't wring ,just squeeze or spin the water out. If you want to add fabric softener you can or your own hair conditioner will do.

I use hair conditioner with animal fibers. It's funny because I'll catch my hubby sniffing the things as they dry with a big smile on his face! Guess he likes the way I smell :devil These things I air dry.

for Acrylics and manmade fibers, I just toss in the wash and then dry with dryer sheets in the dryer.

After reading part of this thread, I bought some "lavender-&-vanilla" scented fabric softener (I think it's Downy) to use on an afghan that I'm sending a friend for her birthday in a couple days!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I would not have made the connection between natural fibers/hair/wool. I don't usually wash and block, but since these are bona-fide wrapped-and-tagged gifts instead of my usual "Hey I made this, does anybody want it?" I thought I would take that extra step!

I always use softener on my crocheted items, too. I love the Downey lavender & vanilla liquid softener. If you don't want to use it in your washer, put some on a damp washcloth and toss into the dryer with your items, works great!

If you don't want to use it in your washer, put some on a damp washcloth and toss into the dryer with your items, works great!
This is what I do (when I use it, mostly only in the winter for static) instead of dryer sheets, except I keep liquid fabric softener in a squirt bottle and squirt a little bit on a sock that has no mate anymore. After using the same sock a bunch of times it just needs a tiny squirt each time, and it ends up being way cheaper than dryer sheets or using the liquid in the washer. I've been using the same bottle forever. (It also makes things smell nice without being intense enough to make me wheeze--the clothes never do that but sometimes opening a box of dryer sheets would make me wheezy..)

Guest Crafterlady46
This is what I do (when I use it, mostly only in the winter for static) instead of dryer sheets, except I keep liquid fabric softener in a squirt bottle and squirt a little bit on a sock that has no mate anymore. After using the same sock a bunch of times it just needs a tiny squirt each time, and it ends up being way cheaper than dryer sheets or using the liquid in the washer. I've been using the same bottle forever. (It also makes things smell nice without being intense enough to make me wheeze--the clothes never do that but sometimes opening a box of dryer sheets would make me wheezy..)

That is a wonderful idea. Tomorrow is shopping day and I am going to buy a bottle of fabric softner. I use a ton of bounce sheets. They are expensive but needed. I have a commercial gas dryer from a laundry mat I picked up 10 years ago for 100.00 and that monster gives out terrible static cling. It zapped me in the butt so hard I got a bruise. :lol It's funny now but it wasn't then.

I don't know about using fabric softner with wool. Id probably go with hair conditioner.

That is a great idea. I never would have thought of that... I never would ahve thought of putting it on a washcloth either..... And, I've got plenty of socks in the unmatted sock pile.... Once I run out of what I have on hand, I will have to try that.

Archived