adjusting pattern size

setsunaluvr

Question

So, I found this pattern for a shawl type thing in a magazine at AC Moore, and want to make it for a friend of mine. Only problem being, she is five feet tall, and the pattern is fifty two inches in length. This is a recurring problem when I make things for her, the summer scarf I made her earlier this year was longer than she was tall, and the wrap I am making for her now is even more voluminous.

How do I go about adjusting patterns for her? I had thought about just cutting stiches out of the pattern, but that wouldn't work for this one as it is a somewhat unbalanced pattern that is longer on one side than the other.

6 answers to this question

It's fairly easy if it is a scarf or rectangular shawl.  All you need to do is stop before it gets too long.  However, if it is not a simple pattern, you'll have to adjust for the sizes listed on the pattern.  What pattern is it?  Just tell us the name of the pattern, but do not post the pattern itself.  We

ll try to help you.

It is 52" long and 32" wide - the long side is wrist to wrist, short side is neck down.

I am about 63" tall.  I just measured my wrist to wrist measurement and it's 49".  Measure your friend, some people have proportionately longer/shorter arms and waist lengths.  Also, the way this garment is worn, I don't think you need an exact fit.

If the pattern in your book is made in 1 piece widthwise the same way as the linked one, you could make a chain a little longer than the wrist-to-wrist length you need, turn and work the pattern across until you reach the measurement you want, turn, and proceed with the pattern. Later you can unpick the unused chains and weave in the end - it will not unravel from the start (old patterns just told you to cut off the end, but --eek!)

Note, if you do this, you will have to figure the number of pattern repeats to the center and adjust where to put the neck shaping (sooner than the pattern will say) so the neck is centered.

In this case if it is a little longer it probably won't matter, but you could measure your friend for the neck to waist length you need as well, and work to that measurement to the neck.  

Archived