Pattern help. So confused.

KWheel14

Question

Hello everyone!

This particular patter I am working on involes stars.  The first round of this pattern was easy enough to understand but Rnd 2 is confusing.  If I could just have someone explain to me what exaclty I am supposed to do, it would be so helpful. 

Rnd 2: Ch 2, (YO, insert hook in next sc, YO and pull up a loop, YO and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice, YO and draw through all 3 loops on hook, *ch 4, YO, insert hook in same sc, YO and pull up a loop, YO and draw through 2 loops on hook, (YO, insert hook in next sc, YO and pull up a loop, YO and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice, YO and draw through all 4 loops on hook; repeat from * 4 times more working last st in same sc as beginning ch-2, ch 4; join with slip st to top of first st, finish off: 6 ch-4 sps.

What I dont understand is what it means by twice.  Does it mean I do what is written in the "( )" twice?

there are two sets of "( )" and they both say the same thing with "twice" immediately after.  Then, on one it says draw through all 3 loops and the other says draw through all 4 loops. This I don't understand, am I missing something, how did they end up with 4 loops? What am I doing wrong? I am lost, Please HELP!!

10 answers to this question

In the second part where it says pull thru all 4 loops, you have an extra loop already on your hook from the first part of the instructions before the ( ).  So you should have 4 loops on your hook this time.  And yes, you are doing what is in the ( ) twice. 

Sometimes I understand a pattern better, if I write it out....

Ch 2 (1 loop)

YO and insert hook in next sc (2 loops), YO and pull up a loop (3 loops), YO and draw through 2 loops (2 loops),

YO and insert hook in next sc (3 loops), YO and pull up a loop (4 loops), YO and draw through 2 loops (3 loops),

YO and draw through 3 loops (1 loop)

* ch 4 (1 loop)

YO and insert hook in same sc (2 loops), YO and pull up a loop (3 loops), YO and draw through 2 loops on hook (2 loops),

YO, insert hook in next sc (3 loops), YO and pull up a loop (4 loops), YO and draw through 2 loops, (3 loops),

YO, insert hook in next sc (4 loops), YO and pull up a loop (5 loops), YO and draw through 2 loops, (4 loops),

YO and draw through all 4 loops on hook (1 loop)

repeat from * 4 times (that's a total of 5 sets)

working last st in same sc as beginning ch-2, ch 4; join with slip st to top of first st, finish off

Instead of writing "twice" I listed the same instructions a 2nd time.  What you're doing is making dc decreases.

I hope this helps!

Archived