Intarsia woes!

PBLKNP

Question

I'm crocheting an intarsia project for the first time ever. I'm making the Mary Maxim Jungle Buddies Blanket for a friend who's expecting. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I'm winding the colors into bobbins and I understand the basic concept. However, I'm getting hung up over where to put the yarn (forward or back depending on which side I'm working on), and when it's acceptable to just carry the yarn over small sections of color.

Help!

9 answers to this question

It sounds like you are off to a good start with the bobbins. The video is also a great resource. When you are working your right side the yarn should be in the back. When you are working the wrong side the yarn should be in the front. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I watched that, plus the next video of hers where she shows you how to weave in yarn for color jumps. Now I just have to attempt to do this!

Well, it's going well, so far, but WOW...I'm still getting used to using the bobbins, and I find I have to carefully mark off the color changes, as it's easy to get hopelessly lost!  

I have an ugly feeling my work friend isn't going to get this until the "baby" graduates college!   :lol

I assume you working from a chart/grid.

I find it easier to work this sort of pattern by blocking off the part of the pattern yet to be work, exposing the top row (the one you are currently working on) and the rows below it.  This way, your pattern looks just like the piece you are working on.

After completing a row, I make a tic mark at the end where I left off - so all the even row tic marks are on one side, odd on the other.  This not only marks the progress but the direction to start the next row.

The one thing I'm STILL having an issue with is how to gauge the amount of yarn to use for each little color section. Is there some rule of thumb for this? For instance, if you're using worsted weight yarn, is it X number of inches per sc stitch?

Usually for a standard gauge swatch, it's a 4 inches x 4 inches square.  So can note down the following:

1) Hook size that you're using
2) Measure how many rows you have done for 4 inches in height.
3) Note down how many stitches you have done for 4 inches in width. 

Multiply that by the overall width of your work, and it should give you a good estimate. 

OMG...I am DONE crocheting the intarsia portion of the blanket!!! Thank you all so much for your help! Now I just have to weave in all the ends...

Archived