Border or No Border

Galathiel

Question

I'm very new to crocheting.  I've only made a few simple things (mainly to work on my tension .. I think it's good now!).  I've made a dog collar, pot holder, simple dog sweater (my 15 y.o. little dog was cold) and then found out my nephew's wife is pregnant with their first child, a girl.  I decided to crochet a baby blanket as a gift. 

I used the sc,dc,sc,dc pattern and made 12 rows of a color (I used lavender, pink and green), separated by 6 rows of ivory.  I'm finally finished with this huge thing (I haven't measured the finished product, but estimated that it would be 38"x40" when I got through with the length) and trying to decide whether to edge it or not.  I first thought nah, then thought well maybe a sc row around the edge, then thought maybe the reverse stitch, and finally a picot border was also suggested.  I  tried the reverse stitch, but didn't care for the look of it on this blanket.

Any other easy suggestions?  I like the idea of picot, because it would basically also be a sc around the edge, but the number of stitches across (121) doesn't lend itself to an even gap between points.  Is there a way to work around that and it still look right?

Also, when doing a border, where do I put the corner?  In the last stitch of the row or the first stitch (does that make sense?  For example, corner of the project is 90 deg.  Do I put the crochet 3 in the last stitch on the top (horizontal) side or the first stitch on the vertical side?

Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing.

14 answers to this question

It sounds beautiful!

I prefer to edge my afghans, and usually pick the shell border.  In the center of the corner, I make 7 dc in the very corner.  Then skip one stitch, *sc in next stitch, skip next stitch, make 5 dc in next stitch. Repeat from * across, then make the 7 dc shell in the corner.  Sometimes, if the stitches don't work out even, you may have to adjust the stitches on the side a little by skipping a "skip one stitch" or two, but it will work out beautifully!

I suggest doing the border in the ivory color, just to pull everything together.

Your baby blanket sounds very pretty. Hope we get to see a photo of it when completed.

I always complete blankets with a border of some kind just for personal preference and a finished look. 

Here's 2 similar and easy types of borders I use frequently (being sure to adjust for amount of stitches on my own blankets). I crochet each row in a color on the blanket.

Border 1,   Border2

I typically put the corner in the first and last stitch of the top and bottom, not the sides.  If you are doing a border in mostly sc, it's customary to use 3 stitches - I like to use sc, chain, sc -- the chain makes the corner turn nicely (sometimes corners can curl a bit; if you sew, it's like grading a seam).

I like Reni's idea, since you have several colors, to make a SC round (or 2) in each of the colors.

Thanks!!  That gives me some food for thought for sure.  I'm wondering if I will need to buy more yarn to do a border.  I have very little pink and green left, but have most of a skein of ivory and lavender (had to buy another skein of lavender to finish it out because after I figured out how wide I had made it, I had to figure out some way to make the length longer than I had originally intended).  I went with from top down:   lavender, ivory separator, green, ivory sep., pink, ivory sep., lavender as center, then reversed it on the way down so that I ended up with lavender on the bottom.  Since this receiving blanket is getting to be the size of a bedspread (kidding, sorta), I wondered about a thin border .. maybe two colors?  Like ....ivory around and then finish the outside with lavender since that was the predominate color?

ETA:  and thank you Granny Square for answering where to put the corner stitches. :)

If you are unsure about whether you want a border or not, my suggestion would be to lay the blanket somewhere where you will see it as you go thru the day.  Put it on the back of a chair or sofa for example.  You can do this even before it is finished.  Then you will see it as you walk  thru the room, when you aren't particularly thinking about it, and you will get a better idea of how it really looks.  

For me personally I feel that not every blanket really needs a border but I think i am in the minority on that lol

I think it looks great!  the colors look great together and I like the way you reversed the sequence.  I think a border would only detract fromthe stripes.  And it seems to be plenty big w/o adding anything to it.  

What yarn is it?  

Blocking methods depend on the fiber used.  For acrylics, most people just run them thru the washer and dryer---perhaps taking it out of the dryer while a bit damp. and laying it flat to dry.  some people do steam block acrylics.  

Acrylics usually don't need it, blocking is most effective for natural fiber content.  

The only time I've blocked steam blocked (permanent), or wet blocked (temporary) acrylic is for lace.  Steam blocking is also called 'killing' the piece, because it loses it's ability to stretch.  I'd do it for a scarf, or a blanket, but not for most wearables.  Your blanket does not appear to need it.

It certainly looks nice and even in the photo!  

As far as blocking everything....It really depends.  Blocking is basically just laundering the item as you will launder it throughout its life.

a lot of natural fibers will change significantly when first washed, and many need to be hand washed in cold water and laid flat to dry.  So blocking them consists of thoroughly wetting/soaking, then squeezing out the excess water, and laying them flat to dry.  

If you have something that needs to be severely pulled into shape--like a doily with a lot of points, a snowflake, maybe a lace shawl with a border that needs to be shaped----those things may need to be pinned out to get them into the right shape.  

With acrylic, some people do what is called killing, by applying heat.  I've never done that, or steam blocked anything.  

Here is a summary of blocking methods http://crochetpatterncompanion.blogspot.com/2014/10/blocking-crochet-five-methods.html

by the way, that is a very good site, Vashti Braha has a lot of info to share.  

I edge all my afghans (as well as scarves and hats) since I think it finishes it off and looks more put together. The stitch pattern of the afghan dictates, at least to me, what border will be used. I have done a similar pattern and just used a simple sc.

Unless the project specifies blocking, I don't block anything.

Roe

Archived