Help with buying thread

donnalynn2

I haven't done much of anything with thread yet. Been a little scared as I don't do too well with small hooks, but I really want to make some dishclothes and such and most of these call for thread. I'm wondering if you experts can help me with what kind to buy! When I go into the store I kinda look at all the thread and have no idea what to buy! I want the most inexpensive I can get for what I need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

the most inexpensive are the aunt lydia balls down here in # 10 thread and there are tons of colors as far as hook size it depends on the effect you are looking for I generaly use a 7 to 9 hook for tight works and a 2 to 4 for loose work. now if you are talking sewing thread I use a 8 to 10 for loose and 12 - 14 for tight work.

Hope this helps

Robert

For dishclothes I use cotton thread. It is not real small. Sugar and cream has a nice selection. I use a F or G hook and it works fine.

For dishclothes I use cotton thread. It is not real small. Sugar and cream has a nice selection. I use a F or G hook and it works fine.

Cotton thread? Ok, I'll look for that! If I can get away with a normal hook I'll be oh so much happier!!! (My zoom vision is horrible since I had cataract surgery, even with glasses)

I got a size 9 hook (it was on clearance in Jo-Ann's clearance bin for $1) and I tried it with some tiny thread. Not only could I not see the hook but I couldn't do more than 5 CH's without everything falling off the hook! Anyone need a size 9 hook? I can't imagine ever using it! LOL

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check out the Sugar and Cream tonite!

My mom makes dishcloths and also uses Peaches and Cream. I love making doiles with DMC thread, it does not split. I've learned, from others of course, to pay attention to the thread not the hook. I usually work with a size 7 steel hook.

Deb

Since your new at threads use a size 3 or 5. If you cannnot find the colors you want in a size 3 or 5 threads use 2 strands of size 10 threads but use 2 strands of threads together and crochet with a larger hook probalby a size 0 or 1 or 2 size hook. Any of those will work. I can crochet with threads up to size 50.

I recently am working on a crochet project using size 70 thread and a size 8 hook -susan bates. when I finish this I won't be working with size 70 thread again. :eek Oh my what a tuff job to work with. I will be finishing it tho. I do have to use a white towel on my lap so I can see what I am doing next. I will be posting pictures when I get it done tho.

I will take 2 or 3 strands of the size 70 threads and crochet the rest of the size 70 threads of what I got left and use it up. No more size 70 thread for me. I will stick to size up to size 50 threads from now on.

Archived