Changing Colors Often

lannoe

Question

6 answers to this question

Hi Lori!  I usually weave ends at each color change.  (Boring, I know ;))  It really depends on the pattern and the border.  If there is a lot of contrast in the colors and the yarn is carried up the sides, the border may not look as good.  I think it's personal preference, though. :)

It does depend on what you're making as Skysmom said.  If it's a garment to be seamed, you can carry it up the side for a couple of rows and it won't show on the outside once you seam it.  If it really changing every row you might just consider it a design element.  If it's a blanket, you could leave a long tail and have a fringe, maybe even adding more strands and knotting them, trimming all the ends even when you're done.  If it has a border all around, the border would mostly hide the carry-ups.

I am attempting to make the Brain Waves hat.

At the color changes it tells me I don't need to cut the yarn after each color change and that I can just carry it up the seam until I need it again.

Can somebody tell me how I do this.

Too Confusing.... :reyes

This pattern? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/brain-waves-beanie

It has 3 colors.  Like DDC said, you'll end up with 3 balls attached to your work, but you are only working on 1 at a time; this is probably less of a nuisance on a small thing like a hat, than a big blanket for instance.  When you are done with color A, you just drop color A and pick up color B at the end of the round.  When you are done with B, pick up C, etc.  On the inside of the hat you will end up with a seam of longish strings where you carried up the colors, but they won't show - this wouldn't work well if the hat were made to turn up at the bottom, though, so you need to make sure the length is right.

Here is a list of tutorials - on getting started part 3, it covers changing colors.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

Archived