How Many Rounds on a Granny Square?

CrochetAddict85

Question

7 answers to this question

I think it's completely up to your personal preference and how big you like your squares. You could keep going round and round and make your blanket one ginormous square, lol or just go round till they're the size you want them. If you just want the "stereotypical" granny square look, I'd say 5 rounds maybe? That will give you the smaller square, with 4 color changes and the 5th being your border color. (Of course, it will also depend on the yarn/hook you're using and the tightness of your work.) But again, all up to what you like, grannies are flexible that way. lol :D

^ What she said.  There are patterns with granny "saltines" and "granny's daughters" which are tiny squares of only 2 or so rounds, there are granny square blankets that are 1 big granny square, and all sizes in between.  What is ideal might be driven on how fond you are of joining squares ;)

Hi, Nikki!

I've made many granny square afghans--and none of them have used the same size squares!  I make a lot of lap afghans for Veterans' hospitals, and they require them to be 35" square.  I'm doing one right now in squares that measure about 11 1/2" square.  I'm using a K hook, and those squares are coming out at 10 rows around.  I've done one with 4 large granny square that was pretty.  So--just go with whatever size squares you want to make!

Happy crocheting!

I change the number of rounds depending on the look I want. I just did one using three rounds of a solid and joined in white so it was four rounds total. Sometimes I do five rounds, other times three. It really depends (unless you are following a very specific pattern) what you like. I've done four giant squares (like 14 or 16 rounds) and then put them together.

Do whatever makes you happy. It will look terrific no matter what.

Roe

i agree w/ what everybody has said, the number is up to you.  One consideration is how many colors you want to use.  

If you want to review different looks, take a look at the granny pool on flickr https://www.flickr.com/groups/grannysquares/  a lot of those aren't traditional granny squares, but still lots of ideas.

if you want to play around with different sizes, you can combine them in one blanket a la Babette http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/babette-blanket  there are over 2000 projects to look at.  

Archived