Magic circle vs chain four

rose15

Question

I am doing a pattern and it starts with a chain four and slip stitch to create a circle.

Here is the pattern...

chain 4 and join to form a ring.

Round 1 :: chain 2, then work 10 htr's into the ring.

Slip stitch into 2nd chain of initial chain-2 to join the round. Fasten off.

I would prefer to use the magic circle to start, so my question is, because of the chain two, do I now do 11 htr's into the magic circle?

Thanks so much!

10 answers to this question

So after the magic circle just follow the instructions, chain two and then 10 HTR's?

Yep! I love magic circle, I never do projects in the round with a chain to start. Only magic circle. It's so much easier! 

Yep! I love magic circle, I never do projects in the round with a chain to start. Only magic circle. It's so much easier! 

Oh me too, it's much neater and just easier to use I think.

Thanks for the help!!

I had to look at several different examples before I figured it out.  However, now it is one of my favorite techniques.

I am so envious of those who have mastered the easy magic circle. For some reason, I just can't get it together. 

Roe

I am so envious of those who have mastered the easy magic circle. For some reason, I just can't get it together. 

Roe

I was just the same, I couldn't do it so just kept putting it off. Then someone showed me a video and I just kept practising on cheap wool and now I wonder why I ever found it hard.

Here's the video I used if it's any help. I think it's like anything with crochet, don't be afraid to do it wrong, because eventually it will come good.

Roe-  The Moogly site (one of many sites) has a great video step-by-step. I use the Magic Circle exclusively and love it. (Moogly has wonderful patterns too!)

Roe

The adjustable ring is just the same old slip knot that you do without thinking to start your work.  Make it really loose so it forms a loop, stick your hook in the middle of the loop and make your stitches around the loop.  I think it's easier to grasp the process if you think of it that way.

Archived