Help, My edges are never even on my Afgans

Judith Petersen Poznanski

Question

5 answers to this question

I know it's a pain but I count after each row to be sure I have the same amount.  You could use a marker after so many and move it up each time to keep the same amount in each row.

When I work on small Tunisian projects I count all the stitches after every forward pass row. When working on large Tunisian projects I use stitch markers across one row and move them up after 5-10 rows are completed. Pain in the patoot? Yes, but worth it. If it's under 100 stitches across I place them every 10 stitches, if more stitches, then I place them 20 stitches apart. On every row I count all the stiches before the first marker and after the last marker and the markers themselves in the middle before I do the return pass. This helps in preventing loosing stitches on the ends.

If you are not completing the final stitch correctly on the forward pass, it could possibly result in one less stitch per row.

Kim Guzman is a fantastic teacher on Tunisian crochet. Her video tutorial on the

is the best I've seen to explain how to end the forward pass row.

I personally BELIEVE in foundation chains!  They're the ones that combine a chain and whichever stitch you're using.  Google sc foundation chain, or dc foundation chain and there will be several sites that give excellent instructions!  it's basically a chain stitch and a sc, hdc, or dc stitch combined.  That will help your edges come out straighter somewhat.  

Another thing you must remember when you're turning is to: sc in the first stitch from the hook,  hdc and dc in the second stitch from the hook.  And always make your last stitch in the top of the turning chain from the previous row.

​I hope I didn't confuse you too much by all this!

Archived