Has anyone tried this pattern?

Elorahd

Question

11 answers to this question

:hi

I'd like to help.  :)

My suggestion, since this pattern isn't provided, is to to the foundation single crochet until you have the width of the afghan you want.  Here is a link to a video tutorial to show you how in case this is a new technique to you.  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/  (I love this technique!)  When you have the width you want, chain 1 and turn...

For your next row, from what I can make out with what few instructions are there, you would work a *half-double crochet, ch 1, skip 1 stitch, hdc in next stitch* across until you are within 1 or 2 stitches of the other end.  If you just worked a hdc and have 2 stitches left, ch 1, skip the next stitch, then hdc in the last stitch.  If there is only 1 stitch left, hdc into it.  (Yes, that will give you 2 hdc stitches in a row, but that's okay.)  chain 1, turn

For the next row, hdc in the first stitch.  Now, what you do is work the OPPOSITE stitch from what you did before.  So, if the next stitch you're working into is a ch, hdc there.  If it's a hdc, ch 1 and skip it and work a hdc into the ch-1 space.  You will work the row like this, then make sure you hdc into the last stitch.  ALWAYS work the hdc in the first and last stitch of the rows (those are the only rows you WON'T do the opposite stitch in)

When you've reached the length you want, work a final row of sc in each stitch and ch space.  Then you can decide if you want a border or not.

Also, if you don't like the way it looks in hdc stitches, you can use all single crochet stitches, also.  AND - if you'd rather have the pattern go "up and down" instead of "side to side" you would work the initial foundation row as LONG as you want it rather than as WIDE as you want it, then stop when it gets as WIDE as you want it instead of as LONG as you want it... clear as mud, right?  :wink

I hope that explains it for you!  :)  If that doesn't make any sense, just yell (or, you know, type) and I'll see if I can make it easier to understand.

Ok, I tried what you said. Thanks, btw. The problem is, and this is what other people have found, chaining one and skipping a stitch leaves you with a hole. And this pattern looks very tight and woven, thus every confused by that stitch skip. :(. ?????

Yes, there will be small holes.  They will be much smaller than, say, the holes in a granny square though.  And even with the small holes, it will be a very warm blanket... :)

If you want something more solid, I suggest working the entire thing in single crochet or half double crochet (no chain spaces).

There are benefits to the "holey" one, though... :wink  It won't be so heavy (so it won't feel like a ton on you), it will drape nicely, it looks awesome... LOL

You could also try using two strands of yarn, that would "bulk up" the thickness and the holes would be smaller... Using the "row below" technique is good, too - just make sure you don't tighten up your tension as you work through the pattern; also, make sure to go all the way to the end of each row.  :)  I'm sure it'll look great when it's all done, and be a very warm and cozy afghan!  

Archived