Proper Pattern writing

foreversccr

Question

I am writing up a pattern, and I am unsure of the proper way to write these steps.

The pattern is worked in the round, and each chain has a different stitch(or stitches) that goes in each next one. So it seems rather lengthy to write it out how I feel is proper, and I am wondering if there is a shorter way to write it.

For example:

sc in next, 2 sc in next, 1 hdc in next, 2 hdc in next, 1 dc in next.... etc. etc. etc.

Or is there a way explain it so I can write it more condensed like

sc, 2sc,1hdc, 2hdc, 1dc...etc etc etc.

Thanks!!

9 answers to this question

I don't think just saying "sc, 2sc,1hdc, 2hdc, 1dc" is clear.   maybe at the beginning of the round you could say something about how each bit is done in the next st, to avoid repeating "in next stitch" over and over.  At some point in the round, does the sequence repeat?  If so you can set that off with asterisks or parentheses and say how many times to repeat it.  

You can always add a diagram of the stitch symbols and/or a very clear photo to help people see what to do.  

It does not repeat, the pattern is of a feather where the round increases (in stitch height) then decreases, all in the same row.  Unless you think I can write "repeat backwards" haha which I don't think is "proper pattern writing".

@Amy, the document didn't address my issue. I understand basic pattern writing, I just wish there was an easier way to write it so there wasn't so much fluff.

It does not repeat, the pattern is of a feather where the round increases (in stitch height) then decreases, all in the same row.  Unless you think I can write "repeat backwards" haha which I don't think is "proper pattern writing".

@Amy, the document didn't address my issue. I understand basic pattern writing, I just wish there was an easier way to write it so there wasn't so much fluff.

I have seen several snowflake patterns that have long instructions very similar to that, and they are written out the long way.  After you've crocheted a few of them, the instructions don't seem as complicated as they did in the beginning.  'Fraid you'll have to go the long way. :yes

I think the long way is better, as it's more clear that way, in my opinion. Just because the shorter version is easier for you, as the designer, does not mean that others who make use of the pattern will understand it. One of the worst things is finding a pattern you love, only to realize that the designer assumes you're going to understand their instructions and they don't explain things clearly. I know that as a designer it can be a little frustrating to write things out "the long way", because it is more time consuming... but it's best to make sure things are as clear as possible for others. It is easy for you to look back on your instructions and understand a shortened version, because it's YOUR idea, and you know what you mean by it. Others don't have that advantage. It's like our special crochet lingo or "chat speak" - someone who comes up with a new term or who has been around the scene long enough will know right away what a UFO is in crochet/knitting, or will know what someone is saying when they add "IMHO" to something they've said in response to someone else, but to someone new/inexperienced, those terms won't make any sense. 

Or you can write both.  Write it out the long way first and then write it out in the shorthand version.  I did that with my version of the Serafina pattern.  This way whomever is making the pattern can choose which version they want to print.

Archived