Fingering yarn for baby afghan?

redbird51

Question

I would love to crochet something light and delicate for my niece's baby to be.  Has anyone used any of the fingering or size one yarns for something like this?  Also is there a lighter weight cotton?  Thank you for any help you can give me.

Thanks Magiccrochetfan for the reply  I'll add more info:

I've made things in size 3 acrylic yarns for babies and they were nice, but I wondered about size 2 cotton yarns for this.  My niece seems to be a more natural fiber type of person.  I'd thought to use cotton but wanted a lighter weight so it wouldn't take so long to dry.  I've looked online but am not familiar with any of the one's I've seen.  I'm asking for help from persons who've used any size 2 or even 3 cotton yarns.  There are no LYS in my area so something I can order online at a moderate price would be nice.  I'm not trying to be super thrifty but don't want to spend mega dollars either.  My pattern will be a basic shell pattern.  I know how to adjust it for the change in weight of yarn.  Also, she is using the colors of baby pink and a light grey.  Thanks again for any suggestions

4 answers to this question

Are there specific fingering/size 1 yarns you are thinking of using?  Do you have a pattern picked out yet?  

Cotton comes in many light weights, all the way down to stuff that is like sewing thread.  

Here is a search on fingering weight cotton (not all is 100% cotton, many are a mix of cotton and something else)

http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/search#view=thumblist&weight=fingering&sort=best&fiber=cotton

Baby blanket patterns that use that weight of yarn (free patterns)

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&view=captioned_thumbs&query=baby%20blanket&weight=fingering&availability=free&sort=best

You might consider bamboo/cotton blend if you can find it. I have made 3 baby afghans from it and it's a very soft, natural fiber. I bought mine at a LYS. One of the brick and mortar stores in a larger city than mine should carry one.

Archived