Just the Right Size?

Jayashiangel

Question

Any idea of the right size for a shawl that is long/wide like these?? I would like to use up lots of scrap to make some of these type to donate to Hospice of the Valley thanks again for all your input :O) and the best stitch to use ( I don't want them to be to bulky/heavy) I have lots of Red Heart supersaver yarn to use up

post-35509-0-12914600-1385546554_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

I don't think there is a set size but if you are picking a stitch and winging it, I would recommend 25" x 60". Acrylic yarn isn't as heavy as cotton but still it may get a little heavy no matter the stitch you use. It looks like the one in the picture uses double crochet. If you choose to make the fringe, you may want to shorten the length to 58".

You'd want it to be somewhat longer than a person's wingspan to help keep it on - too short and it will be impossible to wear/keep it from falling off without a shawl pin.  Wingspan is usually the same as a person's height, so 60" is awfully short.  Most patterns that I've seen are about 72" long, 15" - 20" deep.

When you give prayer shawls to a Hospice, they don't know how tall the recipient will be, so our own Hospice sets a standard size for adult shawls at 20" X 60".  Most prayer shawl patterns call for this general size also.  If you aren't sure, just contact your local Hospice--I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you their preferences.  Also, check the sizes for children--ours calls for 18" X 40".

We use anything that is nice and soft--but NEVER WOOL--because some people are allergic to wool!   Red Heart yarn washes nicely, and gets softer with each washing, so it is a good choice!

​Patterns depend on what you prefer.  We use everything from double crochet, to shell patterns, to granny squares!  Go to www.crochetpatterncentral.com  for some pretty prayer shawl patterns.

Bless you for doing this!

I belong to a prayer shawl ministry and they can be any pattern you chose but the only requirement is that they be between 20-22 inches wide and a minimum of 60 inches long. I like to find patterns that use a multiple and then I can do different patterns. I am now on my 10th different one (started in July) and have done everything from a ripple done width wise, to dc in back loops only, to twin stitch, usually I use an afghan multiple and just go from there. I did one using 40 grannies in a join as you go, another three large grannies. Sometimes I have found an actual prayer shawl pattern in the size they require. As long as the size requirement is met and no wool, there usually isn't a problem. But if you have a specific organization in mind, it would be good to check their requirements.

In any case, have fun. 

LI Roe

Archived