I prefer diagrams for crochet patterns and you?

Margot Margaux Procureur

Question

Bonjour to all,

I really prefer the international langage of diagrams for crochet patterns...and how about you?

In French we say DIAGRAMME .

Of course a little explanation about the pattern in writting can be helpfull for complicated models

or motifs, or clotes etc;.and a shema also.

But what a lovelly way to follow a crochet pattern just by following a crochet:diagram...juste like the music notes !

What do you prefer and why?

Kind regards to all from Belgium.

FleurBelge

15 answers to this question

I'm mildly dyslexic so I find large diagrams quite difficult for me to follow.  Even when i scribble out the round/row I just completed - it just too easy for me to get lost in the symbols and work them in the wrong order.

I prefer written patterns.  I do appreciate a diagram to proof against, tho.

Bonsoir  magiccrocefan,

So nice to read you again.

Yes I remember you have told me about your love for crochet diagrams.

Like you i find it also enjoyable to read them just for the fun of translating, discovering what it means,

at the same time imagining  what and how I would have to do if I crochet that crochet pattern.

.I have recieved japonease crochet books.

of course I do not know japanease langage,

but I really enjoy looking at the picture of the model or motif, then I enjoy  simply reading , translating the diagram.

my imagination goes far with them.

When I crochet following a diagram, it is very easy to see where I am with my stiches in my rows.

merci for your answer,

Kind regards to you

FleurBelge

Fleur, as I think you already know  ;)  I vastly prefer diagrams!  I can use written patterns, but i really get bogged down in some of them.  I love to use diagrams, and I also love to just look at them.  

Bonsoir Rosered,

Merci for your interst to my them, and your kind answer.

I understand what you mean about loosing  or loozing? ( sorry for my English....)

loozing control of your accounts of stiches in which rows with a diagram

...but that is just what I find more complicated with a written pattern.

Personnally I find it so much more easyer to find myself in a diagram,I can never looze where i am and what to do .

Personnally ,i find it boring..and looze myself in the written pattern...

espcially if I need to read all the pattern all over again just to find where  I am ,

where is my mistake for exemple.

It is intersting to see other approachs of our passion for crochet.

We are richer with every experience, yours, hers, his, mine etc..

Bonsoir to you

FleurBelge

I'm mildly dyslexic so I find large diagrams quite difficult for me to follow.  Even when i scribble out the round/row I just completed - it just too easy for me to get lost in the symbols and work them in the wrong order.

I prefer written patterns.  I do appreciate a diagram to proof against, tho.

I love working with diagrams, too, especially when making doilies. It's so easy to 'see' exactly where I am, and what the next step will be. I'd never again go back to following a written out doily pattern, they are just too confusing!

I always choose a diagram pattern over a written one. If I find an afghan pattern that I really want to make, I'll sit for half an hour and make my own diagram, then toss the written pattern aside. it's easier for me to look at what I want my work to look like and put the stitches where they belong than to be trying to read along a written pattern and work it at the same time.

I prefer written instructions, though the diagrams are a nice way to visually verify the written instructions and your work. Larger diagrams or those for more complex pieces can confuse me though, but I've got no trouble with smaller, simpler ones. 

Bonsoir and merci to you for your answer to this theme about Diagrams or written patterns.

I understand your vieuw point.

You have a beautifull name_

Merci again

so interesting to me to learn about others , what they like in crochet,

our commun passion that we all share to gether in this forum.

I learn from you and all of you.

FleurBelge

I prefer written instructions, though the diagrams are a nice way to visually verify the written instructions and your work. Larger diagrams or those for more complex pieces can confuse me though, but I've got no trouble with smaller, simpler ones. 

Not me, I prefer written instructions and abbreviated too. Takes me longer to figure out the stitches from a diagram than it takes to understand the written pattern but that is me. 

It's fun to see how other people perceive the diagrams. If you can, go for it!!!

LI Roe

I prefer written instructions, easier for me to memorize! I do like diagrams to check my work against or if I want to work a pattern in another language.

Bonjour LI Roe,

Merci for your answer to this topic about written or diagram patterns.

yes it is interesting to observe how each of us react with a crocxhet pattern: you prefer eitten pattern, some like me prefer diagrams.

And all of us love to crochet, and we all make what the patterns says , wether it is written or diagram.

Both are interesting.

Merci to you

FleurBelge

Bonjour AsheSkyler

Merci for your answer.

Your method is very intelligent,

because this way you integrate fully the pattern in your brains before starting your crochet work.

by reading the written pattern then by drawing a diagram  before crocheting.

I have bean trying to draw diagrams ,

but my hands are hasardious  with pencil on paper....it goes wrong on the paper!

I should try and use an computer  application for this matter.

amicalement

FleurBelge

PS

I am vegetarian and humanist..hahah! I love your pretty sence of humour.

I shall try and translate it in French and make my friends smile ,

because they know me well, but even thow i adore laughing,

I am a bad comedian when it comes to say jokes.

If it isn't simple, I want both. If there isn't a diagram, I'll get a pencil and paper to try and construct what it is the pattern is saying.

Archived