Adding elastic

beccalovely

Question

Hi all, 

I've been having a bit of a hunt round on the net but can't work this one out...

If I want to make a skirt with an elasticated waist how do I add the elastic?

Can I just crochet over it for example in sc so that it is well hidden from the RS? (Elastic is 1/4 inch wide)

Also how would you calculate the amount to use? I've read in some places that you should use a length of elastic that is 2" shorter than the garment measurement - anybody have any experience of this and can give me an idea of how they calculate the right length? 

Thanks in advance :) 

13 answers to this question

I don't see why you couldn't just crochet over it.

My Grandmother would just wrap the elastic around until it was as tight as she wanted it and cut it.  She never bothered to measure it.

Thanks Michele, that method will work if I'm making something for myself, but often I make something based on a measurement a friend has given me, so I kind of wondered whether or not to use a length of elastic the same as that measurement or whether it needed to be any shorter in order to provide the grip required. It will no doubt be a case of experimenting until I get it right as usual! (I'm getting ever so good at frogging!  :lol

Although written for sewing, the principles are the same,  this links to a "how to" site that often has useful details

http://www.ehow.com/how_2041673_measure-sewing-elastic.html

It may be helpful to remember that the ease allowance may need to change depending on where the elastic is placed.

i.e. in the top of a tube tob needs to be more secure than just gathering in at a waist line.

Thanks will do. I ordered it yesterday so when it arrives I'll play around with stretching and relaxing it as suggested in the link. I'm sure with a bit of practice I'll get the hang of it! 

Thanks for the help :)

At 1/4" wide, I think you can crochet right over the elastic. If it's wider, you just crochet 2 or 3 rows ~ whatever it takes to fold it back down over the elastic ~ then sc or slst that edge to the top of the skirt.

I agree.  It is better to have a casing for the elastic.  Many years ago, I crocheted skirts for my 2 girls.  I made a casing of sc.  I think you sould probably want to use a soft elastic as opposed to the non roll type used for waists in sewing projects.  The softer type isn't that thick and won't add thickness to the waistband.  I yhink you can use a length of elastic about 1 1/2" inches for a crocheted skirt.  Overlap the edges of the elastic and stitch it securely (use a zig-zag stitch on machine if possible).  Place the circle of elastic in the waist band and fold the casing over.  Close the casing with using a combination of the back stitch and hem stitch.  I hope I can explain it.  Start your thread on the casing, then insert the needle slightly backwards and pick up a thread on the skirt part, then go slightly backwards and pick up a thread on the casing part.  In essence you are doing the back stitch but alternating with the casing and the skirt part. 

Archived