Crochet Industry: New Direction?

The crochet industry has changed a lot over the past 10 years. In addition to all the patterns published through the traditional methods of books, magazines, yarn companies, etc., there are now many more patterns available as designers have begun self-publishing their patterns digitally and in print.

We've seen new techniques and the resurgence of older techniques. We've seen lots of changes in crochet fashion and what's in vogue for home decor.

I thought it would be interesting to discuss what's happened recently in the crochet industry as well as where you think it might be headed.

What have you liked or disliked about what's happened with crochet in the past 10 years or so?

What would you like to see happen in the next 10 years?

I can't wait to hear your thoughts and ideas!

The popularity of free patterns available on the internet has greatly reduced the demand for print books- at least at my shop.  The number of new books coming out also seem to be less than in the past.  The price of books has also gone up a lot; I used to be able to get a lot of books in the under $5.00 range and some books with lots of projects for under $20.  Now there are not too many books that are less than $10.  People are also slower to buy books when they can find similar free patterns online, which in return reduces the demand for books.  I also miss the large variety of doll heads that were so popular in the 90's- Cabbage Patch style heads, Strawberry Shortcake style (Yarn hair) dolls heads, Mr & Mrs Santa (From Mangelsens Co) , the 7-1/2" dress me dolls and so on.  I used to make and sell so many of these dolls and now it's almost impossible to find any craft dolls.  I would love to see some publisher make a line of books in a lower price range that would be more accessible to both beginning crocheters who don't want to spend a lot on books before they know they will want to continue crocheting and people who just don't have a lot of money to spend on one book.  Or maybe make individual patterns available for sale in a retail store- legally- not stores running off copies of patterns, which I see happening all too often.

I like that the crochet and craft magazines are offering more stylish clothing patterns.  I would like to see a few more clothing patterns for people of an older age.  Shells, tees, tiny shrugs and tight skirts have definitely disappeared from my wardrobe and the better part of my friends' wardrobes....lol.  Also would like to see a more prominent and stylish use of the less costly yarns.  Expensive natural and natural blend yarns are lovely but not always in the budget. 

I have noticed, however, a lack of more complicated decor patterns for the home.  Lots of dishcloths and a few rugs but it seems that curtains, valances, antimacassar sets and the like have fallen out of favor.  I also would like to see more "lace" type items being offered.  Beautiful edging always seem to spruce up a plain towel or pillowcase.  Lacey embellishments for clothing would be a plus as well. 

The abundance of free internet patterns surely must impact the sale of patterns by the many talented fiber artists.  I still have my favorite crochet designers but as was stated earlier the cost for hardback books has risen dramatically.  You can find discounts for these books on the internet but then you have to pay shipping and handling.  I have switched from buying larger books to the leaflet size with 4 to 6 patterns in them.  I particularly like those kinds of books when they offer several artitsts work per booklet.

I still continue to buy crochet books but do get most online with free shipping, if possible. This enables me to buy more. With that said, I would love to see more contemporary home decor items as well as contemporary fashions that can be adapted to older age if they would like them.

I would like to see more what I would call down to earth type yarns in newer and updated colors, while novelty and specialty yarns can be fun, they are not always suitable for projects for charitable organizations.

While crochet seems to be making a "comeback", for lack of a better word, I would like to see it more publicized.

LI Roe

As Papersmiles said, more patterns for those of us who are getting older. Huge numbers of us are hitting our 60's and really can't wear tube tops, small shrugs, and tank tops. Actually, I've met a lot of women who love 3/4 length sleeves.

Something else I would like to see is sport weight cotton that would be easily available in stores (like WalMart and JoAnn's) the way worsted weight cotton is right now. I can walk into Michael's or JoAnn's and find just about anything I want in worsted weight cotton, but nothing in sport weight. For that I have to buy on the Net, plus the prices are high.

Archived