having an issue with barbie dresses

O-Castitatis-Lilium

Question

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I have this pattern that I'm following for a pillow form doll but, I'm only doing the gown part because my mother already has a doll with the padding and everything else, just not a dress. so I found one and I liked the look of it and, things seemed to be going really well, the skirt came out right and it seemed as though the bodice would come put right but...there's a problem...it doesn't fit...the doll in the picture looks exactly like the doll my mother has, same exact eyes, hair color, hair style, everything. I've followed the stitch count to the "t" and it doesn't fit, it's way too small. Though, I heard once that it all depends on how you make the stitches...though..I don't know...Could it really very well be that I crochet too tight? or am I really honestly doing something wrong?

9 answers to this question

Everybody's stitch tension is different, and yours might be different than the designer's.  Did the pattern give a gauge?  For something that 'fits' it's important to make a swatch to make sure that you are hitting the same gauge as the pattern intended.  You may have to use a bigger hook than called for.  Are you using the same yarn or thread per the pattern?  Sometimes the same size yarn but a different brand can make a slight difference.

Everybody's stitch tension is different, and yours might be different than the designer's.  Did the pattern give a gauge?  For something that 'fits' it's important to make a swatch to make sure that you are hitting the same gauge as the pattern intended.  You may have to use a bigger hook than called for.  Are you using the same yarn or thread per the pattern?  Sometimes the same size yarn but a different brand can make a slight difference.

I thought I was, I just looked for a different type of yarn I liked though it said it was the same sizing. That might be it, just a different brand maybe. Though, I'm thinking I might just crochet too tightly. The gague, I didn't quite understand it, and I did the best I could to follow it. 

with no.0 hook and two strands of thread held together, 11 dc=2", 5 dc rows= 2"; 11 tr= 2", 3 tr rows= 2"

the problem though, was that, it never told me to do that when I started crocheting, hold two strands together. so i figured that it might have been a mistake or something. Either way lol, I will just use a hook one size up from what the pattern calls for, if that doesn't work, then the next one up after that, until I get the right size for it. To be honest, I thought it might have been the way I crochet, which is really tight, but, when the skirt came out fine, I figured I was alright lol. 

Sometimes it is the doll also.  I have found that some of the dolls, even though they look alike, as slightly smaller or bigger.  Watch the feet also.

I would go with a larger hook and try it on the doll as you go along, to make sure it will fit.

I've found the dolls can be an issue, too.  I end up trying it on as I'm working on them to make sure the dress fits.  That way I don't go to far before realizing I need to adjust either the hook or sometimes the pattern to make it work.

Sometimes it is the doll also.  I have found that some of the dolls, even though they look alike, as slightly smaller or bigger.  Watch the feet also.

I would go with a larger hook and try it on the doll as you go along, to make sure it will fit.

I've found the dolls can be an issue, too.  I end up trying it on as I'm working on them to make sure the dress fits.  That way I don't go to far before realizing I need to adjust either the hook or sometimes the pattern to make it work.

If you were supposed to be holding 2 strands together - that would definitely throw things off.

(to Tampa Doll and Bailey4) I thought about that but I thought I might have been over thinking things. I had figured that, it's got a human figure, maybe I have to measure it the same way you would have to with an actual person? Though, I have no clue how to go about measuring a human, let alone a doll, and what parts to measure, or even how I would translate those measurements into stitches and chains and such. Like I said before though, i thought I was crazy in thinking that I might have to take the dolls measurements. If either of you know how or where I could find a site to do that, that would be awesome XD lol

(to RoseRed) that's the thing, to make the swatch, is asked for it, it never said when I went to start the pattern, take your two strands of thread, or, now with two strands of thread... It gave no indication to do that when starting the pattern, so, i figured that maybe because the yarn is really thin and small, to get a proper measurement or something like that, you had to use two...I wasn't entirely sure to be honest lol.

Archived