Seaming help

O-Castitatis-Lilium

Question

I posted this on ravelry as well but, I thought I would post it here too lol. I am reading this book that i got at the library because I wanted to learn how to properly seam crochet pieces together. The book is The New Encyclopedia Of Crochet Techniques and I went to the seam section but…there is an issue, there are many ways to seam pieces together, both for the tapestry needle and the crochet hook but, all it says to do is pin the pieces together with the right side facing each other and the wrong sides facing outward and then do a backstitch seam or do a slip stitch seam. It doesn't explain how to start any of them or how to even do them step by step. I just want to know how to start and do these ones in this book.

for the tapestry needle 
. back stitch seam 
. chain stitch seam 
. woven seam 
. joining upper or lower edges

for the crochet hook 
. slip stitch seam 
. single crochet seam along row edges 
. single crochet and chain seam 
. single crochet seam along upper or lower edges 
. alternating slip stitch seam

I have looked everywhere on some of them and can’t find a really good step by step instruction on any of them. Some even led me to embroidery and hand sewing. If you know of a place that can show me or give me detailed instructions on how to do this. If any of you know how to and can help me, that would be awesome! I thank all of you that post here and reply here to this in advance.

5 answers to this question

I'm sure if you search on YouTube, you will find some great tutorials.

Here are a few links to helpful sites:

http://blog.lionbrand.com/2011/05/09/5-tips-for-seaming-or-sewing-up-knit-crochet-pieces/

http://www.woolcrafting.com/crochet-seams.html

This link is a page of tutorials, scroll down to the 'assembly instructions' about halfway down on the right side.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

I'm amazed an Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques doesn't do a better job of explaining things, that's a shame!

I know, I was so disappointed too. I guess they are already assuming that you know the basics like that but, still, they really shouldn't. I mean, other than that so far, everything else is really well explained lol. but, what can I do lol, trial and error I guess lol. Thank you though for the page, it seems to be a gold mind for help lol ^-^

This is the very best invisible seam directions that I've ever used!

Step 1:  Lay your granny squares (or whatever you want to seam together) side to side with the front side facing up.

Step 2:  Leaving at least 5" or 6" end, insert your needle into back loop of your first crochet stitch, from the back to the front.

Step 3: repeat Step 2 on matching stitch on the opposite side, coming up from the back to the front. Continue this process on each stitch, alternating between sides.  It's kind of like lacing shoes.

Step 4:  Lightly pull on both ends of your seaming yarn.  The stitches disappear!

Step 5:  Repeat with all seam edges.  Weave ends in.

If this isn't clear enough, please let me know.  I use it constantly and love it!

Archived