Sorry if this is in the wrong place.  I couldn't find any related posts but I'm sure there must be somewhere!

I'll be travelling to the US (from Heathrow in the UK) in the summer and taking my hooks with me.  I travelled over there last year and was worried whether it would be ok, there seems to be such a varied amount of advice and experiences from other travellers, I thought I'd better ask again!  I had posted questions elsewhere before my last trip, but I don't want to rely on information that's a year out of date.  Security requirements change all the time.

I wasn't given useful information by my airline.  They first suggested I asked the check-in staff whether I could have hooks with me on my carry-on luggage and if they said "no", I'd have the opportunity to relocate the items to my hold-luggage, but I'd rather know beforehand.  I was then advised by some other official that even if the check-in staff say "yes", there is a chance the security chaps might have an "off day" and say "no" by which time it's too late as my hold-luggage has already been sent off!

Some people have used techniques to help make sure they can still take their hooks, such as using wooden hooks and pack them with pencils in a pencil case and taking dental floss or nail clippers for cutting yarn.

What are people's recent experiences with flying overseas, long haul flights?

I travel regularly between Ireland and Germany. I always put my hook in my pencil case (I always have a pencil case! I'm a teacher, so maybe that's why :P  ) and have a ball of yarn separately. No one has ever even looked in my pencil case to be honest. I generally take a project that requires no yarn cutting, like the SiSoYa hat (worked with one ball of sock yarn, small stitches and straightforward pattern.)

In the little search box on this page, http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items , I entered crochet hooks.  

The answer came up:  In general, you may place your knitting needles and needlepoint tools in carry-on or checked baggage.  Circular thread cutters or any other cutter or needlepoint tools that contain blades must be placed in checked baggage. You are permitted to keep scissors smaller than 4 inches in your carry-on baggage.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

I believe different airlines may have different rules, but the TSA is pretty much the governing body.  They sure write these rules as vague as possible!  Good luck.

I have travelled within the US with hooks (aluminum) no problem. I also carry a yarn cutter with covered blades (the clover brand one) - NO SCISSORS!

I packed the hooks and cutter in an outside pocket of my carry on bag just in case. 

Now as of the end of April TSA rules are changing with regards to blades but I would still not try to bring scissors. 

I keep changing my mind about what to pack in my carry-on.  I'll be travelling on my own so will need to carry more of the heavier stuff that someone else might normally carry so may be even tempted to not pack anything I think I can do without - putting them in the checked luggage instead.  I'll have my tablet and may decide to work on some crochet patterns or just watch some inflight movies or something.  My fingers may get a little restless though!

Archived