Free Pattern: Crochet Easy Boy Beanie

Crochet Cricket

Hello everyone!

I have been working on a lot of hats and beanies this year. Here is a pattern I wrote for my son. It's an "Easy Boy Beanie". Hope you like it.

I used worsted weight wool. Patons Classic wool. The colors are natural mix and dark olive.

4mm hook (you can use a larger hook but it may make your beanie larger)

Two ways to begin Round 1:

R1-R5 color A

Ch 4. Join. 11 Dc into the ring. (12 stitches)

Magic Ring. Ch 1. 12 Dc into the ring. (12 Stitches) pull on tail to close the loop

*note* For a less noticeable seam replace the ch 3 at the beginning of each Dc row with a *ch 1. sc in same sp. ch 1*. Then join into the top of the ch 1 to end the row. Also, avoid joining the new color to the same st as the end of the previous round for a less noticeable seam.

Crown

R 2 - Ch 3. Dc in same st. 2 Dc in each st around. Join. (24)

R3 - Ch 3.  2 Dc in the next st. *Dc in the next st. 2 Dc in the next st* repeat around. Join. (36)

R4 - Ch 3. Dc in next st. 2 Dc in next st. *Dc in the next 2 sts. 2 Dc in next stitch* repeat around. Join. (48)

R5 - Ch 3. Dc in the next 2 sts. 2 Dc in the next st. *Dc in each of the next 3 sts. Dc in the next st* Repeat around. Join.  (60)

*note* This is where I stopped increasing to make my beanie. If you want a larger beanie, continue to increase in this manner 1-2 more rounds is usually enough for adult sized hats.

I did a striped pattern for this hat to make it look more boyish. The pattern is single stripe/single stripe/double stripe/double stripe. Again if you are making larger beanie just continue that pattern.

Beanie Body

R6 - (color B) Attach yarn. Ch 1. Sc in the same st. 1 Sc in each st around. Sl St to join in the beg sc. Fasten off.

*note*beg ch 1 stitches on sc rounds are not counted.

R7 - (color A) Attach yarn. Ch 3. Dc around. Sl St to join in top of ch 3. Fasten off.

R8 - (color B) Attach yarn. Ch 1. Sc in the same st. 1 Sc around. Join. (60)

*note* work your tails in as you go stitching over the top of them

R9 - ch 1. sc in the same st. Sc around. Join. Fasten off.

R10 - (color A) Attach yarn. Ch 3. Dc around. Join.

R11 - Ch 3. Dc around. Join. Fasten off.

*note* you should see a set of single stripes and a set of double stripes now. You can choose to do only single stripes or only double stripes for your beanie. 

R12 - (color B) Attach yarn. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc around. Join. Fasten off.

R13 - (color A) Attach yarn. Ch 3. Dc around. Join. Fasten off.

R14 - (color B) Attach yarn. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc around. Join. (60)

R15 - Ch 1. Sc in same St. Sc around. Join. Fasten off.

R16 - (Color A) Attach yarn. Ch 3. Dc around. Join.

R17 - Ch 3. Dc around. Join. Fasten off.

Brim

*note* the brim is where you will make the beanie fit snugly on the head. It is here you need to do your decreasing. If the beanie fits well already you can just keep the stitch count the same. If not on Round 18 decrease 1 sc every 6 stitches. If you need more decreasing repeat this on Round 19 as well. Until your beanie fits how you would like it to.

R18 -R21 (color B) Attach yarn. Ch 1. Sc in same stitch. Sc around. Join.

R22 - (optional) I did a fpsc/bpsc ribbing to add a slight edging detail. This can also be done with hdc or dc. If you use hdc or dc to make a ribbed detail like this do Round 21 with the same stitch as round 22. If you pick HDC then do rounds 21-22 in HDC etc.

Here are the directions to do round 22 with double crochet:

--DC ribbing--Must have an even number of stitches. Always Begins with a Bpdc and always ends with a Bpdc. Ch 3 counts as a Fpdc.

Round 21 - Ch 3. Dc around. Join. This is the foundation for round 22.

Round 22 (ribbed round) Ch 3. Dc around the back of the next Dc post(bpdc). Dc around the Front of the next Dc post(fpdc). Alternate this pattern in each stitch around. Ending with a Bpdc. Join in the top of the Ch 3.

post-65200-0-53997100-1361993841_thumb.png

Archived