Hooks with pointier heads

Kittaly

I've got a set of Boye hooks and honestly I'm not a fan. I tend to crochet tight no matter how hard I try not to. Are there any hooks that have more of a point on the head?

Preferably they would be metal. I would be willing to try plastic so long as they are durable like a heavy acrylic I would guess. I'm not keen on the idea of wood anything so that's out. Something that would need to altered is also out.

Oh and they also need be something that I can get a complete set of. I have OCD and my hooks need to match.

I think I've covered everything. I have been shopping around the net but it's hard to tell from pictures and all I have as far as local shops go are Walmart, which only has the Boye stuff and Michaels which was pretty much the same.

i have some Addi hooks, a couple of small "steel" sizes and an aluminum E/3-5mm.  here is the Skacel site, page of hooks they make http://www.skacelknitting.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.28/.f

I can't stand any kind of built up handle so mine are all the plain no-handle type.  I think the quality is very good, finish is good and sizes are more accurate than the currently produced Bates or Boye that i have seen recently.  

I think one really has to try a hook to know if it will be a good fit.  I would recommend buying one of the Addis in a size you frequently use, to see if you like it, before investing in a set.  If you have an LYS, you might look there to see if they carry hooks.  

Have you ordered from Halcyon?  I love them!  One of the few places where you can actually get yarn sample cards :-)

Is there a Local Yarn Shop where you live? The other day I was visiting mine. The owner was crocheting with a Addi Swing hook and offered me to test it out. She loves them, I did not care for the feel of the grip. Too off centered for my style.

I use the Clover- Amour hooks and love them. They work so smoothly for me no matter what size. I purchased one at Joann's and the rest through Amazon.com.

Sadly as I said, no local yarn shops. There was one listed in my area, but they are no longer in bussiness. My husband said I should open one, I told him not tot temp me. lol

The only online place I've ordered from so far is Herrschners and I will NOT ever be doing that again. They took like two weeks to get me my order and that was after complaining and receiving a partial refund with "expedited" shipping.

I love the idea of yarn samples so will look into ordering from Halcyon.

I don't mind bulky handles. My order from Herrschners included a set of the lighted hooks, which I love but am leery about using on an everyday basis since they don't seem very durable. I've always had problems with my hands so the bigger handles do help. I'd love more than anything to get some funky handled hooks but all I can find are the ones with the clay handles and most of the ones I've seen are both kind of ugly and not available as a whole set.

The handles on those Clover Amour hooks look somewhat similar to the lighted hooks so I will definitely at least be giving them a try.

I find it fun to test different hooks. The Clover-Amour hooks can also be purchased individually. Maybe you would be interested in buying just one hook in your favorite size and if you like them, then buy the whole set. Then you'd have 2 of your favorite size. Best wishes to you on a successful hook hunt.

I'm a Bates fan.  The regular Bates hooks have a slightly pointier head than the bamboo handled ones.  You should be able to pick up a Bates hook at any craft store.  I've never seen them carried at Walmart, though.

Archived