OnLine Sales Tax attached to defense bill

If this passes, it won't stop at just state sales tax. Managing 50 different states, although cumbersome, would be possible.

If the federal government passes this, it won't be long before cities and counties start pressuring their states to pass something similar on a state level.

I can't even imagine trying to keep up with all the various rates of cities and counties in all 50 states, much less having to file that many forms each and every month. ACK!

There would have to be some entity created that would keep track of all the data. Then another cost for small businesses to tie into that for updates (at a monthly charge) and then to integrate all the data into their shopping cart systems.

Everybody's hurting for money, individuals, businesses, and governmental entities. Everyone up the chain keeps trying to collect from the next level down.

All those increased compliance costs are going to have to come at the cost of increased prices to consumers, driving inflation up.

Same thing in Florida. Each county has a different tax rate.

If this do this - I'll close up shop. It's not worth the book keeping. In order to collect and submit sales tax every single small business would have to be registered in each and every state.

I don't own a business but I do a lot of online shopping and depending where I order from, I am not charged sales tax. If the site that I am ordering from has a physical brick and mortar store (except for Amazon, NYS decided it wanted its share from them), then I am charged NY sales tax.

I can't imagine the paperwork and filing that would need to be done to collect from all 50 states. What about sending to overseas? Would that be affected? I realize times are tough but small business owners have enough trouble trying to keep up with big box stores. Good luck to all of them.

LI Roe

Archived