Using up yarn stash

crochetlady2012

Question

I am trying to use up as much as my stash as possible. I am hoping to make this: Ribbon Afghan & also maybe make a couple corner to corner blankets, and some other items. Does anyone have any other suggestions to use up all this yarn that I have laying around? I want to use the yarn up but also maybe sell some of the items that I make to bring in a little bit of money for the home!

13 answers to this question

This past year, I began making blankets for myself because they are warmer, and prettier than commercial ones. I'll be getting back to working on them when it gets colder a bit later this year. I am making 3, totally out of my stash, and I love doing it. One is in purple, blue and yellow squares. The second one is in a variety of blues and cream diamonds. The third is a side-to-side ripple in cream, aqua, teal.

I figure they're pretty, useful, use up a lot of stash, and are something that I personally really like, plus like making. I'm not using other people's patterns, and I'm making them as big as I want.

You can mix and match a lot of colors, and make beautiful blankets. Make squares or stripes, or both.

I have decided that I am going to be making blankets for the most part out of all of my yarn that I have laying around here. I have already pulled quite a few patterns for the using up of all this yarn. So, wish me luck!

Good luck! The way I look at it is that everyone heads for the afghan to cover up when on the couch. Now why is that? Because they are so cozy. Well, I discovered in the middle of winter when I couldn't get warm in bed no matter what I did, I put an afghan in bed with me under all the other covers and rolled up in it. I finally warmed up and fell asleep. Ah-hah! That's when I knew I'd be making my own blankets from then on. When it's that kind of cold in the winter, I put a blanket under me too.

When you have lots of left over yarn, you can make stripes to your heart's delight, and sometimes they are the most beautiful blankets of all.

What is also nice, is that you can make differing sizes for different purposes. You might want something under you that is just barely the size of your body, but like to cover up with a bigger size. I have a little one my sister made me that is a foot warmer ~ it's just big enough to cover my feet and ankles, then when they warm up, I can easily push it aside.

I agree with RoseRed - round ripples. They are great for using up stash, because beginning from the center, you can use yarn with varying amounts, or add in other colors towards the end if you need to, and it will remain symmetrical.

My goal is to use up all of my Caron One Pound by the end of the year, and I will be making mostly round ripples with it, unless I am absolutely certain I have enough of specific colors for a planned sequence.

I have been taking even the smallest of leftovers of yarn, and making "magic balls" (joining them together in large balls). Then I either pair one ball w/a solid like black or white and make mats for the animal shelter , using a larger hook (I use an L), with the doubled yarn, or use the magic ball and an I hook and make a blanket or a "Joseph's Coat" prayer shawl for church.

Archived