Ways to manage pain while crocheting?

As I was crocheting today, I noticed that the top of my right hand hurts(my crochet hand)

I am on break now but I would like to know what can be done to lessin the pain?

I bought myself a glove years ago that I use to wear on my hand while I was crocheting but it seems to have grown feet and ran away!

Have you tried Bengay? That's what I do. I have arthritis and my hands can get really painful. I rub every part of my hands with an aspirin cream (like Bengay) and let it sit. Then, I wash it off and try to take a little break from my work.

I hope you feel better soon!

I have 2 of the elastic type gloves, and I wouldn't work without them. I keep one with my crochet things and the other in a draw. This way I have one when I have to wash the other, or sometimes one takes a vacation (runs away with one of the disappearing hooks for a few days, :lol) and I still have one to fall back on.

I also use asper-creme, and occasionally an anti inflamatory.

I have carpel tunnel in my left hand (I had the right one fixed). I've been wearing an old, tubular style elbow support on that wrist. It has really helped for that particular disorder. My arthritis doesn't bother me much as I actually crochet, usually I notice it more afterwards.

I also have Carpal tunnel pain.

Here in Sweden I found a support thing especially made for this, but the most efficient help is using softer handles. I mold air drying play dough around the handle but anything that prevents me from tightening the grip does the job for me.

Icy hot works well, but it has an odor. Putting it on, then resting tends to help some.

I have also found alterate ways to hold my hook, which is what I normally do. I'm really wanting to learn how to crochet left handed so I can simply switch hands when my right hand gets sore.

Switching projects also tends to relieve pain. Using a different hook, with different stitches, requiring different amounts of tension tends to almost stretch the other muscles and tendons.

Icing my left hand when it cramps up from holding tension helps too.

This is a common problem for me, especially when I'm doing something requiring a tight level of tension or something with a smaller/ thinner thread or hook.

sometimes i take a break, other times i just kind of ignore it like my headaches cuz nothing seems to help. i try to tell myself to relax when I crochet cuz i can feel my non-hook arm get tense, and that helps to do that.

Laurel

blue emu is a good one to try too. Can find it in most stores around here.

Also if you are a pencil hold type crocheter you might try a clover soft touch hook. I have problems with my right wrist (compound fracture injury) and the soft touch hooks really help me when crocheting

Archived