Calling All Crochet-Related Businesses

If you have a crochet-related business of any kind, I have a few questions for you. Whether you design patterns, make hooks, sell finished items, make crochet tools and accessories, dye yarn, spin yarn, make crochet-themed jewelry, whatever.

1. What business issues/concerns do you struggle with the most? What do you really need help with?

2. What types of things do you wish existed to help businesses like yours?

3. What could Crochetville do to help you with your business?

Small ideas, big ideas, I want to hear them all.

For Number 2: maybe a compilation of listings of websites of regulations and other legal criteria needed to sell craftwork (I think I read somewhere that certain parts of the country you need a permit to sell in craft fairs and even hold multiple garage sales) (included the dreaded copyright and trademark infringement rulings of the day :D)

For Number 3:Help people make an informed decision BEFORE starting a business. (I see this in many hobbies - someone makes a few things, gets many compliments, including the standard "you should sell that!" and then gets their heart and wallet broken when they find out what it takes to turn a hobby into a buisness)

Another thing Crochetville could do is maybe set up a Structured* Professional Network for Bartering/Trading of services and/or a way for several artists to share a booth at a craftfair. I've visited many booths at conventions and fairs (even manned a few) where samples of different artists' work was on display/for sale.

*I say Structured, because I've noticed that there is currently a friendly, neighborhood type atmosphere here where things are freely shared and bartered and sold. Thinking something along the lines of "help me design a better logo, and I'll give you some of my hand dyed wool. type thing."

I do not currently have a business, but I was seriously considering starting an Etsy account. The reason why I don't have one now is because I read the Selling Crochet section and it made me realize that I really am not prepared at this time to start one.

Ooh, I like that idea! Sort of a professional services co-op, or something similar. Bartering arrangements or offering discounts to other Crochetville members, perhaps.

This just may be possible to go along with some other planned changes we have for later this year.

I'm in the process of starting up my own non-profit, crochet based ministry --- so that is my background behind my answers.

--- I would like to see something on and about the Non-Profit/ Charity based business issues. Filing the paperwork with the state, fees, the taxes, all of the regulations. Non-Profit Organizations often have a different structure and have different rules/ regulations. I'm having to sort through all of this stuff by myself and it is challenging. I would really appreciate some guidance and help/ support as I'm working through this and getting my organization off the ground.

--- Something to do with "financials". Running a buisness takes money. What if people "donate" or want to "partner" to/ with you? Financially supporting and running a business isn't easy. What about taxes and figuring the cost of a tax into the prices, then having to deduct material, site or location, and time costs... attempting to make a profit in the mix somewhere.

--- Ways to realistically advertise, promote, and sell OFFLINE. Not everyone wants an online business and many people prefer to do sales in person. How to approach businesses for help advertising and or carrying your product (craft malls, boutiques, bookstores, etc).

--- I would also like to see a place here on Crochetville that helps buisness owners and prospective business owners brainstorm, help them find their niche, and provide support for the day-to-day grind of starting up a business. Right now I work full-time and I'm trying to start up my non-profit, which is really mentally and physically challenging. I would like to have a place where I could get feedback from others who have been there on how to balance both worlds and stay business focused, even when I'm exhausted - someplace where I could find encouragement from business owners and from others who are in my shoes. It takes a lot to be able to crochet full-time and have that be a primary source of income. There are many aspects of starting up and running a business that emotionally tax, drain, and deplete a person. Just having a place to vent about the day in the world of a crochet business owner, for me, would be a blessing! I love crochet, but I have to pay my bills and sometimes I struggle to find the extra energy to devote to the development of my buisness everyday. MENTORSHIP PROGRAM?

While I work part-time for a local non-profit agency, I do not have any experience setting one up. For all the specific nitty-gritty information on what is required of non-profits, you'd be much better off seeking that advice from someone with a lot of knowledge on the subject. You might want to check to see if there is a SCORE office affiliated with your local Small Business Administration. Retired executives provide free assistance to small businesses, and they would probably have someone who could help you get started and refer you on to the right resources.

So you're talking like a Small Business Accounting class? My local chamber of commerce teaches a class like that, it's about 3 hours long, and the cost is $75. They have licensed accountants come in and teach that. I could give an overview of things you have to consider, but it might be better taking a class from an accountant for the details.

Selling offline is hard. It takes a lot of cold calling and grunt work, actually going around and talking to people. I'm sure I could work up some sort of class around that topic.

As far as the brainstorming, you just want a place where business owners can share with each other, right? Ideally, would this be a private forum that only approved business owners or serious potential business owners could access? Could you envision people wanting to eventually discuss real or imaginary customer service situations and feel free to say things differently than they'd say them in front of a customer? This could be a definite possibility.

Not sure about the best way to make sure participation was only by those seriously interested in running a business. I don't to have to question people and approve on a case-by-case basis. Would a yearly fee of some sort work? Not huge, but high enough to deter people from paying it just because they're curious about what business owners are saying. Then maybe we could get guest speakers in on a number of subjects for chats/classes on topics of interest. Just brainstorming here!

While I work part-time for a local non-profit agency, I do not have any experience setting one up. For all the specific nitty-gritty information on what is required of non-profits, you'd be much better off seeking that advice from someone with a lot of knowledge on the subject. You might want to check to see if there is a SCORE office affiliated with your local Small Business Administration. Retired executives provide free assistance to small businesses, and they would probably have someone who could help you get started and refer you on to the right resources.

So you're talking like a Small Business Accounting class? My local chamber of commerce teaches a class like that, it's about 3 hours long, and the cost is $75. They have licensed accountants come in and teach that. I could give an overview of things you have to consider, but it might be better taking a class from an accountant for the details.

Selling offline is hard. It takes a lot of cold calling and grunt work, actually going around and talking to people. I'm sure I could work up some sort of class around that topic.

As far as the brainstorming, you just want a place where business owners can share with each other, right? Ideally, would this be a private forum that only approved business owners or serious potential business owners could access? Could you envision people wanting to eventually discuss real or imaginary customer service situations and feel free to say things differently than they'd say them in front of a customer? This could be a definite possibility.

Not sure about the best way to make sure participation was only by those seriously interested in running a business. I don't to have to question people and approve on a case-by-case basis. Would a yearly fee of some sort work? Not huge, but high enough to deter people from paying it just because they're curious about what business owners are saying. Then maybe we could get guest speakers in on a number of subjects for chats/classes on topics of interest. Just brainstorming here!

Thanks for the ideas where I can get help locally --- I'll be checking those out very soon.

Yes, I really do like the idea about customer service stuff. I also think this might be a place for brainstorming too. I see the advantages to have it private, but making it public wouldn't necessarily be bad. It would be a neat place for people who are considering starting a business to talk with business owners and talk about what they are seeing out on the market and where they might be able to "fit in" with a particular item. Not everyone is looking for ideas of what to make or sell, but many of us are looking for new things to try making just to see if we like it or could make it "our niche".

- what items would you like to see crocheted?

- what items do you see almost too much of or would be harder to sell, unless something new/ maybe a twist were added to them?

- pricing ideas or pricing help?

- where to set up online shops? advantages or disadvantages or experiences with certain online shops?

Hi Amy,

I have a small retail crafts store, and do a lot of crochet orders for customers that either don't crochet or would rather have me make things for them. I'd like to learn how to set up a website to sell hand crocheteted and other crafted items, supplies, and patterns. How to get a domain name that people would actually be able to find, and how to set up for people to buy from the site. Maybe a class on how to make a basic website?

Any other ideas for us? Donna and I are talking about the ideas already mentioned so far, but I'm sure some of the rest of you with indie businesses or thinking about starting one may have some good ideas about how Crochetville can help you.

Let's hear them!

Oh, and maybe have a focus on ins and outs of print and electronic publishing, seeing as how that seems to be a major money maker in our hobby, maybe periodically host panels and round tables regarding different business topics (this could be done via a chatroom, or Google Plus/Skype), and maybe something to help people decide if they want to take their 'self sustaining hobby' to the next level, and if not, how to maintain that.

Oh, I am liking this! I am seriously considering starting a business selling crocheted items and I don't know how to price things. How do you figure it all out, as far as time? I work full time, and have never kept track of how much time I put into something. I consider the cost of the supplies, but never my time. I already have people that buy things from me, like at church and friends. I want to know the ins and outs of starting a business, do we need to put together a business plan, 3-yr, 5-yr and 10-yr? Things like this. How do you figure out how much shipping is if you sell online? Do you just set a price or go by weight and the zip code? How do you set up a site? While I don't have internet at home, currently, I would love to get feedback from those who have already started their business to know the struggles of just getting started, advertising your business, etc. Do you crochet by order or build up a large stock on one item before you put it on your website? I have LOTS of questions before I get started!

this might be a stretch, but maybe a chatroom?

I do like the idea of a mentorship program though.

With some upcoming improvements we have planned for later this year, a chat room may become possible. I'm not promising anything, but it's something I am strongly considering.

I am creating a new folder in the Crochet Business Center section for businesses to talk with each other.

It's going to be publicly-accessible at first. Once everybody starts using it (hopefully!), if you end up having discussions you want to be accessible only by other businesses, we can talk about setting up a private area accessible by business owners only.

New folder has been created! I'm also starting a thread about a mentorship program. Watch for it!

• 2 weeks later...

IMNHO - Business topics do not lend themselves to "chat" - although panels similar to what is done on "go to meeting" might work.

The answers to important and sometimes even minor questions can be very long and often need thought - Heck even some of the technique questions can get lengthy (especially if you suffer from no such thing as too much information given like me)

I "think" that for the most part, single topic questions in a forum really work the best. I know i often decide not to respond because there are too many issues mixed in.

Just thinking out loud

Wheat

Archived