Has anyone taken a class at Michael's or JoAnn's?

spaycee

Question

10 answers to this question

I never took a class at Michael's, but I did used to be in charge of scheduling the classes at one. The crochet classes we had at our store was on the small side. I think that there were normally 3 or 4 students each time. That works good, because it gives the teacher a chance to work individually with each person. She would work at each person's pace. I would say go for it. I think that it would be great for you. I'm the kind of person that does better with the instructions in front of me, and I work it out on my own. My mother is the opposite, she does better with someone showing her step by step. It clicks in her mind faster that way. You might be like that.

I haven't taken a crochet class at Michaels but I have taken a beading class. I found the class was very good, I can't imagine the crochet classes to be anything less than that. I would say yes take a class, you won't spend any more money than if you buy a book that you don't quite understand....and by having the personal touch of a teacher you may just pick it up easily!! :hook

Spaycee, I actually teach both crochet and knitting at Michaels and at A.C. Moore. I would say to you, go to your local store and ask the Classroom Coordinator how the instructors are hired and what their background/training is in the craft. Ask to see samples the instructor has made. That should tell you a good bit. OF course they're not likely to tell you if any students have had complaints, but do ask about the instructor's teaching style. And good luck! I'm a firm believer in hands-on, one-on-one instruction and small classes, as someone else said, so the instructor can give personal time to each student.

Carolyn

I took both crochet and knitting classes at Michael's and loved them both!!! Small class size, patient instructors, and inevitably you end up making new friends with the same interests!!!

Hope you enjoy your class - let us know how it goes!

Ok I did it! I took the class and I started, well something lol More of a practice square, but it got me started! We did a single crochet, double crochet and is it call half double crochet? I forgot the name! LOL

I hope to soon be doing an entire project and posting it!!!!!!!! :clap

Archived