Check out my new toy!!!

Frangipani

I made the mother of all finds when I came across this Ashford Traditional spinning wheel. It was $50 Australian (like $30 US dollars) at a market not far from my house. The woman was so happy that I bought it, she invited me over to her house this week to give me all the accessories that accomany this big bad thing!!! :yay **click them for your viewing pleasure**

th_DSCF1038.jpg

It totally fit my budget to get it becase they run around $400-500 new. Just wanted to share my fantastic find an I can't wait to get started-a-spinnin'! I'm going to join the local spinners guild here in Sydney next month. YAY!!!

th_DSCF1040.jpg

Bec

:clap

Thanks! I have yet to learn to spin but have been researching on the net and will be joining the Sydney spinners guild to get lessons. The ladies are very nice and I'm totally excited about learning how.

:clap

One of the best new spinner tips I got was this:

Take a skein of cheap acrylic yarn and attach one end to the bobbin.

Start "spinning" until you've used up the skein. That will let you get the hang of treddling, adjusting the take up tension and moving the yarn along the hooks.

Once you are comfortable with that, spinning with real roving will be easier because you can concentrate more on drafting and you won't be so worried about wasting the real stuff.

Oh! Also be sure to get some oil! If you can't get your hands on spinning wheel oil, sewing machine oil will do quite nicely. You want to put a few drops of oil on anything metal part that moves and also the shaft that the bobbin sits on.

Good luck!

Holly

• 2 weeks later...

Archived