uh...so i accidentally may have started a crochet club...

So as long as I have been crochetting, a whole 3 months, I have been posting my items on facebook because I wanted to share with my friends. Well, lo and behold! One of my friends crochets and never told me! She doesn't know how to read patterns and asked me to help. Cool, sure, no biggie, I will do my best. So then another friend asks if she can come too, she has never crochetted in her life. Ok, cool, right?

Yeah, IT'S AWESOME!

But, I am so new at this and I really, really would love for this to go well and make this a "club" with more than just the three of us, so, my dear crochet friends, I come to you with questions, as you always provide wonderful answers!

How often should we meet? I know it will depend on everyone's schedules, but how often sounds good?

What does one do in a crochet club? Work on one pattern? Everyone on seperate patterns? Just hang out, crochet and have a glass of wine? Go with the flow?

Should we meet at someone's house or a coffee shop or library?

Should we have an "itinerary"?

Should we all (as we would technically be newbies) try to take a class together?

Should I grab some books and share?

I just really, really would love for this to go well. So any tips, advice, anything will be absolutely appreciated! And if you happen to live in Illinois near the western suburbs of Chicago and want to join up, let me know! I feel like I need an adult (someone with more expirence)

Thanks, everyone!

I have one that meets weekly..but it is a day time club so most either are self employed (as I am) or old farts or both :rofl

I think it's going to depend on what YOU can do since you sound like you are now the ring leader. Maybe 1st and 3rd whatever night of the month..would be easier for people to remember rather than every other week.

Our group is a charity group as we do hats for the mission, but at any given time none of us may be there working on a hat or a few of us. Most are knitters, but let me play :D They do "field trips" occasionally and let the group know about any classes that are coming up.

I'm in a fiber arts group and we meet once a month. We work with a lot of different crafts though, not just crocheting (most are knitters in the group anyway). We have a group project at least every other month, where 1 member teaches the rest of the group a craft they know, such as when we learned how to use bleeding tissue to dye silk scarves, or when we taught the group how to crochet ruffles.

As long as you include something to keep everyone's interest, whether it's learning a new stitch together, or having a group project to work on (not necessarily during meeting time, but something to work on and show and tell during meetings) such as working on squares from a book to make an afghan or something like that, you should be fine. Include time to chat (you may find some meetings are more chatting than anything else), time to share ideas or projects, and time to just work on whatever project you want to work on.

Meeting at a library is good, as long as you can at least have something to drink. A coffee shop might work but be aware of people around you who might be clumsy and spill on your project. Plus a lot of "oh what are you knitting?" (while you're sitting there crocheting.. lol).

If you all know each other well enough to meet at someone's home, maybe rotate who's house it's at every month or every 3 months.

What does one do in a crochet club? Work on one pattern? Everyone on seperate patterns? Just hang out, crochet and have a glass of wine? Go with the flow?

This sounds like a great plan!

You sound so excited! Why don't you just give it a chance to start and grow on it's own. It'll get there. Pick a time that's good for the 3 of you. One a week or every other sounds like fun.

Oh, I know, I've got to give it a chance to grow first, I have a tendancy to dream big and over plan everything, but I will start small and simple and see how it goes. I am just super excited! I've always wanted to be "crafty" but no one in my family had a chance to teach me their crafts and I feel like I got a late start, which is better than never! I also love teaching people how to do things. So yeah, please forgive my giddiness ;-)

Growing up, my Mom was in a sort of craft club. They met once a month at a different house each month. My Mom was the youngest at about 40 when she joined. Each woman brought something to work on. There was quilting, tatting, crocheting, sewing and knitting going on.

They had secret pals that were revealed at Christmas. Mostly they would just sit around, talk and have some refreshments. She always called them the girls.:hook

I'm in a group at my church. We work on projects for charity and do a lot of talking and laughing.

Our group is very informal. It meets every Friday morning from 9:30 until 11:30. It's a combined group of knitters and crocheters. We help each other out when someone gets stuck on a pattern, stitch, etc.

I think it's nice to have a group of your friends to crochet with and learn with also.

Maybe check out the Crochet Guild of America website for ideas. Good luck and I wish you the best with this group.

:manyheart

how exciting for you - i am part of a group if you will and he person that started it did it because she moved across town and wanted friends. that was 2 years ago - she started small and now there are an average of 10 folks each time - there's 14 of us all together. that being said - we meet on tuesdays at panera bread - we all do our own thing - nothing planned - no agenda - but we all support and encourage each other. you won't regret doing this.

Archived