Heirloom afghan

Is this the one you are going to make? http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/heirloom-stitches-throw

If so, maybe you could get a CAL going! I'm tempted to join you, but will have to see how much progress I make on my WIPs. My resolution is to finish them ALL before starting another project. I have let it get out of hand and I have way too many half-finished projects in house! :blush

Also Im looking for something softer than acrylic would a cotton work for this do you know? I have very sensitive skin and at times can't stand anything touching my skin. Acrylic is something I would have an issue with I think.

Cotton would be pricey and it would also be quite heavy I would think.

Different acrylic yarns have different softness. RHSS is not always known for it's soft texture, though it gets better with washing. I like using caron pounders and also I find Michaels brand yarn to be quite nice too ( I think it's impeccable?)

WIP is work in progress. To start a cal I think yah just go to the crochet along section and start a thread.

I think all of your questions have been answered but I have some recommendations for yarn too!

Red Heart has evidently listened to us about the lack of softness. They did not change their SuperSaver line but they have added several that are much softer! They now have Soft, Super Soft, Soft Touch, Comfort, Lifght & Lofty, Smoothie, and With Love. These are all much softer than the usual Redheart Super Saver(RHSS). You just have to try them out and see if any of them are soft enough to keep from aggravating your skin.

Another option is to try a blend like Alpaca Love (Redheart makes it too -- says: Stitch Nation by Debbie Stoller® Alpaca Love™ is a plush blend of wool with a touch of soft alpaca...). Some of the blends of cotton and silk are especially soft and comforting to the skin but they will wind up being very expensive for something the size of an afghan.

Other soft yarns that are also economical enough for afghans include: Caron Simply Soft, Jo-Ann's Sensations, Hobby Lobby I ♥ This Yarn, and Lion Brand Pounds of Love. The last one might be my recomendation as it is a baby soft yarn but very reasonable so your afghan won't cost an arm and a leg.

I would look at other baby yarns. They are coming in so many different colors now -- the pastel-only options are a thing of the past. So, you might want to try a baby yarn for your afghan! They can be reasonable, especially if you buy them in the One pound economy sizes and/or watch the sales!

Jo-Anns is having a pretty great coupon sale with an additional 10% off the entire order, even sale items! For instance, RedHeart Soft yarn is on sale for $2.99 a skein (reg. $3.99) and then you can get 10% off that too! Paton's Silk Bamboo is very soft and on sale for $4.86(reg. $6.49). There are some baby yarns on sale too, including $2 off a skein of the Pound of Love yarn!

I didn't even think about yarn for a baby. :) I will have to try that. As my skin hurts so bad at times that even walking into a soft breeze will feel like I've been majorly sand blasted. :(

Alpaca irritates a LOT of people. (Including me.) Too, alpaca will stretch out easily and it will not return its shape with blocking. Ask me how I know. :( Most folks do well with acrylic unless they're allergic to the dyes in it.

Archived