Help with pattern

yarn kitty

Question

Can someone please explain these directions to me? I'm really missing something here 'cause what I'm coming out with isn't anywhere near right.

Pattern is for a slouchie beanie and it says to chain 87 and form a ring with sl stitch, which I did. Here's what I don't understand:

Round 1: Ch3 (dc, ch2, sc) in same ch as joining sl st (counts as first pattern repeat), *sk next 2 ch, (2 dc, ch2, sc) in next ch; repeat from * around; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch-3----29 pattern repeats.

Can someone please spell this out for me, literally...it seems like it's saying to do a chain2 in the slip stitch and I don't understand that at all. I"m totally confused.

Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Nance

12 answers to this question

Can someone please explain these directions to me? I'm really missing something here 'cause what I'm coming out with isn't anywhere near right.

Pattern is for a slouchie beanie and it says to chain 87 and form a ring with sl stitch, which I did. Here's what I don't understand:

Round 1: Ch3 (dc, ch2, sc) in same ch as joining sl st (counts as first pattern repeat), *sk next 2 ch, (2 dc, ch2, sc) in next ch; repeat from * around; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch-3----29 pattern repeats.

Can someone please spell this out for me, literally...it seems like it's saying to do a chain2 in the slip stitch and I don't understand that at all. I"m totally confused.

Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Nance

Hi Nance, I'll see if I can make it a bit clearer for you.

First you made a long chain that you formed into a ring by joining the last chain with the first chain with a sl st. Hopefully you were careful not to twist the chain, otherwise it will be a bit difficult to find your chain stitches.

Round 1: Chain 3 (this will count as a dc), now do another dc in the same place where you joined the ring, now do 2 chains (don't put them anywhere), now you will do another dc in the same place as the last one you did, and then do one more dc in the same place again. So now you will have a ch 3 , dc, 2 chains, dc, dc all in the stitch where you made the join. Next you will *skip 2 chains then you will do (2dc, ch 2, 2 dc) {when instructions are in parathesis like this it means to do them all in one stitch}, in the next st. Then you will repeat the instructions starting at the * around the chain that you made ending with 29 sets of (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc).

Hope this gets you on your way!:)

Hi Nance, I'll see if I can make it a bit clearer for you.

First you made a long chain that you formed into a ring by joining the last chain with the first chain with a sl st. Hopefully you were careful not to twist the chain, otherwise it will be a bit difficult to find your chain stitches.

Round 1: Chain 3 (this will count as a dc), now do another dc in the same place where you joined the ring, now do 2 chains (don't put them anywhere), now you will do another dc in the same place as the last one you did, and then do one more dc in the same place again. So now you will have a ch 3 , dc, 2 chains, dc, dc all in the stitch where you made the join. Next you will *skip 2 chains then you will do (2dc, ch 2, 2 dc) {when instructions are in parathesis like this it means to do them all in one stitch}, in the next st. Then you will repeat the instructions starting at the * around the chain that you made ending with 29 sets of (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc).

Hope this gets you on your way!:)

Hi Carolyn,

I just looked at this more carefully.... and where the text is in green above, don't you mean "...2 chains, dc, sc, all in the same stitch. The pattern reads (dc, ch2, sc) for the first sequence and then (2dc, ch2, sc) for the second sequence.

This still isn't looking right. I have holes in my work that shouldn't be there. :(

I agree your correction in red, at least it agrees with your first post.

The pattern looks like it is going to be an asymmetrical V stitch. V stitches have gaps.

You didn't give directions for the next round, but MOST of the time the gaps in V stitches are used to put V stitches into for the next round, which fills the gap somewhat. I suggest that you keep going another couple of rounds and see if it doesn't start looking more like the stitch pattern should look.

You're right. I did continue on with the next round and it is filling in the gaps, but I'm not sure I'm putting the stitches where they belong. The pattern reads:

Round 2: Sl st to first ch-sp. ch 3, (dc, ch 2, sc) in first ch-sp, (2 dc, ch2, sc) in each remaining ch-sp around; join with sl st in top of beginning ch.

I'm not sure what it means by "chain space". I'm not sure where that is.

I shouldn't have opened my big mouth and promised my 2 nieces that I would make this hat for them! I can make a simple beanie .....easy! I never dreamed this would be that much more difficult. I've got the stitch sequences down...I just don't know where to put them!! Does that make sense????

Thanks for your help.

Nance

Nance, the chain 2, that is between the two sets of dc? That is your chain space. Chain space usually means the space created by a chain in the previous row.

Don't get too freaked out!! You'll do fine. Think of this as a learning process. Trust me, I learned much by my mistakes; I'm still ripping things out multiple times on new patterns.

Keep going and keep asking! That's what the 'ville is for! :)

Is it me, or did Carolyn misread the pattern and misdirect me? I don't see how her instructions match up with what's in the parenthesis. Will someone please just write out exactly what the stitches should in Round 1 for me? I'm not sure if I'm misreading it or if she did. Thanks for your help.

Is it me, or did Carolyn misread the pattern and misdirect me? I don't see how her instructions match up with what's in the parenthesis. Will someone please just write out exactly what the stitches should in Round 1 for me? I'm not sure if I'm misreading it or if she did. Thanks for your help.

You are right, "2 dc, ch2, sc" does mean two double crochet, chain two, one single crochet.

Archived