Laurinda3

Pre-thread or Add as needed?

Which do you prefer when crocheting with beads? To prethread all the beads onto your yarn/thread/wire? Or use a small hook to add beads as needed? And why? Do you like the way one looks more than the other?

I have always prethreaded because that's how I was 1st taught, and really prefer how it looks. But I know it's hard if you don't know how many you need and extra work if it's a lot of beads. So I was just curious what other people's preference is?

I have only done one project so far with beads and I pre-threaded them. (My thread angel called for 383 beads.) I am not familiar with the process of adding them as needed. Wow. I'll have to look into that. However, since I only did it pre-threaded, I really didn't mind it. I glued the end of the thread to stiffen it so the beads would slide on easily. Plus, my pattern stated how many were needed and I made sure to add some extra in case that number was "off". ;)

I prefer to pre-thread the beads. I especially find it easier if the different color beads go in a certain order. Sure it takes time to sort, count and thread, but in the long run it's faster once I start the project.

I prefer to pre-thread the beads on the thread, I learned this way, since I usually use seed beads it is easier for me.

Demet

Prethread, much faster.  Only thing I don't like is if you are making a long necklace, thats alot of beads to have to stop, push down and keep from getting tangled.  I made a few lariats a couple years ago and once you get the hang of it and a rythym going it goes really fast.