new to forum....have a question

Hello;

My name is Lori and I'm new to the forum. I read all the rules and guidelines and was still unsure as to where to post this question..so here it is.

I've been crocheting most of my life and I would like to start a new crochet web site. I would like to post links to other people's patterns but I want to make sure I'm doing everything the appropriate and legal way. How would I find info on how to get permission to post a link, etc..

This site will mainly be for my own pleasure and love of crochet but eventually I would like to post my own designs for sale, have some advertising, etc..

Do you have classes on how to start a crochet web site or any info as to where I could get that info?? Thank you!:)

The forum offers online classes, although I confess I haven't yet figured out whether there's a regularity to the schedule or not.

Earlier this year, three business classes were offered a couple of times. I think taking them would answer many of your questions, so here is the link to the schedule, and maybe there are links on that page describing the content of the classes.

Best wishes! :)

DCM

It kinda sounds like you're looking for a blog.

I don't know of anyone that minds you posting a link to something that you like. The easiest way to stay 'out of trouble' is simple kindergarten rules. If it's not yours - don't take it or use it. Whether it's patterns or someone else's pictures. If you do want to use something that belongs to another (intellectual property rights and copyright stuff) you can usually get a hold of them thru their website. It usually only takes a little bit of looking around.

Hello Everyone...thanks for the answers!

I'll be looking to post links to other's free patterns. Not the pattern, just the link. I just wasn't sure if free patterns were general domain or if I needed permission for each pattern link.

This web site idea will mainly be a hobby for now..so..I guess what I'm trying to find out is, can I put up a site and start posting links to patterns I like, or do I have to have permission for each free pattern link?

Thanks!

Lori

Welcome Lori! I think I get what you're asking and here's my advice: most individuals will have a note somewhere with their free patterns with rules on what you can do. I'm not sure about big sites like CPC though. If there isn't a note it would be a good idea to ask individual and big sites and I would just ask them if you can post links to their free patterns in general- not each pattern per say. I know this might seem tedious, but it really is the best way to go about it without getting into trouble. Thank you for doing this!

Most people don't bother asking permission to share a link but it is polite netiquette to either let them you that you have or check with them first.

Free patterns carry all the same copyright protections as pay for patterns.

The forum offers online classes, although I confess I haven't yet figured out whether there's a regularity to the schedule or not.

I have not yet put together a schedule for 2012. There was not a set schedule for 2011, as things were so fluid in my life it wasn't possible to plan too far in advance.

Now that I have a year as a nonprofit organization president under my belt, I'll hopefully be better equipped to set a schedule well in advance for next year.

I'll be looking to post links to other's free patterns. Not the pattern, just the link. I just wasn't sure if free patterns were general domain or if I needed permission for each pattern link.

Free patterns are not public domain; they are still fully protected by copyright law. This means you can't post a free pattern (the pattern itself, or any photos of it) on your website without permission of the copyright owner.

Legally, you don't need permission to post links to other sites, if all you're doing is posting a link like this:

Dreams Shawl

Legally, there is no requirement to seek permission to include a link to someone else's site on your site. If you're not using your site to make money, then there's generally no problem. However, if someone is using links to other indie crochet business owners to try and drive traffic to their own site with the intention of making a profit (through placement of Google ads or by sales of patterns or other things on the site), things can change.

It's hard enough for anyone to run a profitable business in the crochet industry. It's a little difficult for indie business owners (who are not part of a large company) when they feel others are taking what they've worked hard to create (lots of blood, sweat, and tears) and are using it for personal profit without offering anything in exchange. There's nothing they can do about it, and they can't really say anything to someone without the risk that person will bad-mouth them and make it out like they're being a big jerk because they aren't happy with others trying to profit from the popularity of their site.

If you're building this directory with the ultimate goal of it driving traffic to a business site, and you intend to make money from the site, it might be better for building relationships in the industry if you contact people and ask if they would consider a link exchange. Link exchanges (where each site links to the other) are a good thing: it helps increase search engine optimization rankings, helping both companies come up higher in search engine results. That way nobody will feel you're trying to build your business on the back of theirs, as you're trying to do something that will benefit both of you.

Some sites don't do link exchanges for various reasons, so if you get that response, you could always just ask if they mind if you include links to their site in your directory.

The crochet community is pretty close-knit, and a lot of it is about relationships.

Thank you Amy...that's the info I was looking for!!

I wanted to start a web site as kind of a personal archive for myself at first, with just links to free patterns. Eventually though, I hope to not only sell my own designs and patterns but to take on advertisers as well.

I have too much respect for the crochet world to "step on anyone's toes." I would always want to ask permission and do things on the up and up. That's why I'm trying to research some of the legal issues ahead of time. A web site business that seems easy and enjoyable may end up being more complicated than it's worth!:2eek

Many thanks to you and everyone else for pointing me in the right direction!

Lori

If you're looking towards eventually becoming a crochet business then I cannot recommend strongly enough that you take Amy's class 'Do I want to start a crochet business?' There is so much information that I never would've known to consider if I hadn't.

Archived